• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ItsaBass
    replied
    Re: Ibanez wood fraud

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
    Great it turned out fine!

Anyway I agree with OP earlier opinion. Marketing something as specific wood and selling whatever is kind of a middle finger for customer, and literally lying. So it's not slamming, but legit complaint and bad rep from that is certainly deserved.

It doesn't matter how it great sounds. It's about principle.
    Again..."mahogany" is not a specific wood. Nowhere close. It's stated as just "mahogany" specifically in order to be vague.

"Genuine mahogany," "true mahogany," and "Honduran mahogany" have more specific meaning. "Mahogany" can mean any one of a hundred or more species of tree, running the gamut of wood characteristics.

It's deliberate imprecision – not fraud.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Great it turned out fine!

Anyway I agree with OP earlier opinion. Marketing something as specific wood and selling whatever is kind of a middle finger for customer, and literally lying. So it's not slamming, but legit complaint and bad rep from that is certainly deserved.

It doesn't matter how it great sounds. It's about principle.

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied

White mahogany - meranti or yellowheart.

Leave a comment:

• WDeeGee
    replied

OP here: Plot twist.

Call me dumb but I noticed the pups were set rather low. I put them a bit higher and.... tadaaa... a full, fat bass sound!!!

Exit the midrangy, weak, sustainless "bass" and meet what is now a fat, great sounding bass guitar. And as far as the wood issue is concerned: somebody over at a woodworking forum told me it could be "white mahogany", a blonde wood, which techically isn't mahogany, but I really no longer care what kind of wood they used because the bass sounds excellent for its price range. If its ounds great, who cares what it's made of?

Keep the good basses coming, Ibanez (but don't tell people A is B).

Leave a comment:

• Mikelangelo
    replied

Interesting subject anyway.

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    replied

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
    PS: Please let's all stay on topic: Ibanez lying about their specs.

Please cease the tonewood debate here.
    Ibanez is a pretty well-known company with a lot of skin in the game, so to speak. I think intentionally lying about specs or wood of a model would be pretty bad from a PR level because someone will find out, somehow. Be cautious with assigning malicious intent where there likely is none.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

Have the bushings and bolt holes going into steel inserts attached to the carbon fiber, something similar to t-nuts.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    I wonder how balsa wrapped in carbon fiber would sound. Like maybe a Steinberger style, neck through with stainless frets and a Gibraltar style bridge? And yes, if I had the money, I would have one built just to hear for myself. But, I don't. So I just wonder.
    I know Parker used poplar in carbon fiber. I am sure balsa would work, too, as long as you figure out a way screws and bushings won't strip easily.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

I wonder how balsa wrapped in carbon fiber would sound. Like maybe a Steinberger style, neck through with stainless frets and a Gibraltar style bridge? And yes, if I had the money, I would have one built just to hear for myself. But, I don't. So I just wonder.

Leave a comment:

• FuseG4
    replied

Everyone's saying specs subject to change without notice so that they can keep doing the production run even if things like a certain wood become hard to get
    And model years can be a crap shoot, if they had agathis left over when yours was made, they probably just used what they had

Looks like agathis to me
    But it's probably still a good bass
    If you need a touch more sustain I hear those fat finger things work ok, a high mass bridge and good strings would probably help

I've taught myself not to think too much about the wood my instrument's made of. Either it makes the notes and sounds at least ok or get to selling it for something that does sound how I want. Hope you enjoy your bass
    Full body pics might be nice, I like that color!

Leave a comment:

• WDeeGee
    replied

OP here:

I was a bit bummed out because I was doubting between an SR300E (agathis) and an SR500 (mahogany), then I researched the serial number of the 300E which could be seen on one of the vendor's photos. I found out that for one or two years, the SR300E's were made with mahogany. So why pay more for the SR500 then if they're both made from the same wood (and have the same necks)? So I thought I was really clever to have saved some money but now it turns out the 300E isn't mahogany after all.

It's not a big deal, but I would have gotten the 520 if I had known there's so much fiddling goin on with wood types etc.

The only disappointing thing is the low sustain, but I use this thing to do home recording and get as much sustain as I want when I compress the hell out of it, so there's that.

The body is VERY heavy, though, for being so small. It weighs like a rock.

Leave a comment:

• Obsessive Compulsive
    replied

Would the OP slam Ibanez if the wood were stated in the catalogue as 'agathis' and as it turned out, it were actually a 'good sounding tonewood (mahogany, koa, ebony, whatever)'?

I don't think so...

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post
    PS: Please let's all stay on topic: Ibanez lying about their specs.

Please cease the tonewood debate here.
    PSA For the record, slamming other vendors on the Duncan site is against Duncan forum rulez. Now back to the slamming...

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied

Gibson used balsa as the center block of many 90s-era semihollows.
    Which, as it turns out - isn't so bad. Billy Gibbons has a guitar made of balsa, it looks like a big jazz box. I think Dean built it?

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Yes, the wood industry (probably like the fish industry) is full of general names that get applied to all kinds of things. Add some unscrupulous dealers, and someone with a good marketing degree, then anything sounds good. Gibson used balsa as the center block of many 90s-era semihollows.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X