• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ibanez wood fraud

But hey... Who needs regulations?
    Lol

Comment

The bottom line here is the OP is being unreasonable - just like the Gibson chamber/short tenon people.

We could all rock a GR300 all night no problem. OP is more worried about the specs than actually playing/sound.

Deception not withstanding, which is wrong....
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

• Re: Ibanez wood fraud (or not)?

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post

I checked the serial number, she is from the year 2017, and so supposed to have a mahogany body, according to Ibanez's catalogues.

I bought it because their 2017 catalogue said it was mahogany.
        Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        The bottom line here is the OP is being unreasonable .
        Actually, this is the bottom line......literally, the bottom line of Page 1 in the 2017 catalog. "All specifications are subject to change without notice.".

http://resources.ibanez.com/resource...ez_Catalog.pdf
        Last edited by JOLLY; 06-28-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

“We want to sell you on these specs and let you make buying decisions based on them, but we don’t want to be held responsible for any of it.”
          What’s funnier than putting up roadblocks to stop the advance of someone who’s running away from you at four hundred miles an hour?

Comment

There is nowhere for this conversation to go until it is proven that the wood in question is not actually something that is routinely called "mahogany" in the wood trade.

Again, hundreds of different types of trees, spanning a variety of characteristics, are routinely sold as "mahogany" – wood-industry-wide, not just in relation to guitars.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              There is nowhere for this conversation to go until it is proven that the wood in question is not actually something that is routinely called "mahogany" in the wood trade.
              I don’t see why we can’t continue to talk about what we think is ethical behavior for a guitar company and what are reasonable expectations for a consumer. Of course, we also welcome any insights into how the guitar industry and wood trade actually work.
              What’s funnier than putting up roadblocks to stop the advance of someone who’s running away from you at four hundred miles an hour?

Comment

Originally posted by TMD View Post
                I don’t see why we can’t continue to talk about what we think is ethical behavior for a guitar company and what are reasonable expectations for a consumer. Of course, we also welcome any insights into how the guitar industry and wood trade actually work.
                This

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                  Actually, this is the bottom line......literally, the bottom line of Page 1 in the 2017 catalog. "All specifications are subject to change without notice.".

http://resources.ibanez.com/resource...ez_Catalog.pdf
                  Good god Ibanez makes a lot of guitars! I gave up scrolling at Hollow bodies....
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I could never make it past the hollow bodies either
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by TMD View Post
                      Talk about whatever, all you want. I didn't say not to. I said the conversation isn't going to go anywhere except in circles.

People keep saying that Ibanez stated one wood, and used another. We don't know that to be true. We will never know, because the OP won't carve up his bass and pay for lab tests.

There isn't much discussion or argument to be had over whether a company should give you what it says it's giving you. You will be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't believe that. The question is whether that's what happened here. So far, I've seen nothing definitive showing that it is. A blurry picture of wood that could probably reasonably be called mahogany, following wood industry naming conventions, is not something to make definitive statements over, as several people are doing here.

Again, when guitar makers say "mahogany," they are being vague on purpose. It gives them wiggle room to source a variety of species of lumber for the same products. It helps them keep costs down. I don't see a problem with that, as long as what they're giving you is something that is routinely called "mahogany" in the lumber trade...which is a LOT of stuff.

Should
                      they be more specific? Well, of course, as hobbyists, we would like them to be. But I don't know about "should." I myself am perfectly content to let a low end line of instruments be made out of some general category of wood, if it helps keeps the prices low by allowing them to be less specific in the lumber that they purchase. Should they lie? No. But I don't think they did that here, and even if they did, we can't prove it based on what we know.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-29-2020, 05:20 PM.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Meh... IAB... You're bending over... I want truth in advertising you told me you're giving me mahogany I want ****ing mahogany I don't care what it is you're selling just make sure you label it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                          Meh... IAB... You're bending over... I want truth in advertising you told me you're giving me mahogany I want ****ing mahogany I don't care what it is you're selling just make sure you label it correctly.
                          For the umpteenth time, we don’t know anything that leads us to believe that this is not a wood commonly referred to as “Mahogany” in the lumber industry. Again, hundreds of different types of lumber are called that.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

This thread’s gonna be like the rockman thread. Except, in before the lock.
                            Originally posted by Demanic
                            Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
                            Originally posted by GuitarFanatic
                            I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
                            I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
                            I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              For the umpteenth time, we don’t know anything that leads us to believe that this is not a wood commonly referred to as “Mahogany” in the lumber industry. Again, hundreds of different types of lumber are called that.
                              Hundreds?

Only 2 as far as I know, Sapele & Khaya,...
                              mahogany is a very regulated wood whoever buys it, knows what they're buying.
                              Last edited by solspirit; 06-30-2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

There's also the fact that absolutely nothing behaves like mahogany when you're working with it, so they would know immediately. regardless of what they bought it as,. Even if it was bought as mahogany, they would be misleading and lying selling it as mahogany.

Comment

Working...
                                X