Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ibanez wood fraud

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    The AGX A2 was a very light guitar, and a pretty awesome idea. But the marketing looked especially deceptive...a lot of words for what is essentially a form of plywood with balsa in the center.
    I always surf for RGX A2's...very cool axe. Don't care what it is made of.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
      So, more dishonesty. I don’t think someone buying a $300 necessarily deserves premium tonewoods, but they don’t deserve to be lied to.
      no matter if you pay 300 dollars, or 3000 for a Gibson (or other)

You shouldn't be lied to.

My opinion ^^

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Then you KNOW you shouldn't ever buy a $3k Gibson - because they absolutely lie about what went into that!

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
          Dear Watson, I have found no meaningful difference between furniture grade "mahogany" and pallet grade "poplar" or whatever species it might actually be or pose to be. At this price point it is either random leftovers or the cheapest stuff they could get their hands on. Any resonance it might have is coincidental; there isn't even a cork to sniff, just a plastic cap. Tonewood in cheap guitars is as plentiful as water in the desert but if you insist on searching, be my guest.

A cheapo Ibby is not "real mahogany" but a lowly piece of nyatoh at best. It's not exactly a secret, nonetheless some people choose to kid themselves rather than ask.

The flaw in your reasoning is that one nicely made guitar in ten thousand is meaningless. As an extreme example, they could have a show piece ghostbuilt by an elite luthier for $10k and it would only take one extra dollar out of poor Joe's pocket to pay for the whole scheme.
          unfortunately we live in a time where we really need to do our our own homework because we can't trust anyone but there should still be honesty in advertising. Regardless if Ibanez bought that wood as supposed mahogany, they have a responsibility as a manufacturer and international company to research it. They employ supposed professionals, there is no way that they didn't know what was going on. I don't give a rat's ass what it cost or what the price point was.

You can't tell me that Ibanez didn't know what it was. And there is no reason not to label it as it should be.
          Last edited by solspirit; 06-27-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Does anyone really think that any large international wood instrument company would not know enough about wood to advertise something as something else not knowingly?
            They did this because it was an accepted term in the furniture trade because, people are uninformed or uneducated about what they are buying.
            there is no reason that every single guitar manufacturer cannot give the Latin or scientific name for every wood that they use therefore, eliminating any confusion.
            Last edited by solspirit; 06-27-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

But hey... Who needs regulations?
              Lol

Comment

The bottom line here is the OP is being unreasonable - just like the Gibson chamber/short tenon people.

We could all rock a GR300 all night no problem. OP is more worried about the specs than actually playing/sound.

Deception not withstanding, which is wrong....

Comment

Re: Ibanez wood fraud (or not)?

Originally posted by WDeeGee View Post

I checked the serial number, she is from the year 2017, and so supposed to have a mahogany body, according to Ibanez's catalogues.

I bought it because their 2017 catalogue said it was mahogany.
                  Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  The bottom line here is the OP is being unreasonable .
                  Actually, this is the bottom line......literally, the bottom line of Page 1 in the 2017 catalog. "All specifications are subject to change without notice.".

Last edited by JOLLY; 06-28-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

There is nowhere for this conversation to go until it is proven that the wood in question is not actually something that is routinely called "mahogany" in the wood trade.

Again, hundreds of different types of trees, spanning a variety of characteristics, are routinely sold as "mahogany" – wood-industry-wide, not just in relation to guitars.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

• Re: Ibanez wood fraud

Originally posted by TMD
                      I don’t see why we can’t continue to talk about what we think is ethical behavior for a guitar company and what are reasonable expectations for a consumer. Of course, we also welcome any insights into how the guitar industry and wood trade actually work.
                      This

Comment

• Re: Ibanez wood fraud (or not)?

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                        Actually, this is the bottom line......literally, the bottom line of Page 1 in the 2017 catalog. "All specifications are subject to change without notice.".

http://resources.ibanez.com/resource...ez_Catalog.pdf
                        Good god Ibanez makes a lot of guitars! I gave up scrolling at Hollow bodies....

Comment

I could never make it past the hollow bodies either
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                            I don’t see why we can’t continue to talk about what we think is ethical behavior for a guitar company and what are reasonable expectations for a consumer. Of course, we also welcome any insights into how the guitar industry and wood trade actually work.
                            Talk about whatever, all you want. I didn't say not to. I said the conversation isn't going to go anywhere except in circles.

People keep saying that Ibanez stated one wood, and used another. We don't know that to be true. We will never know, because the OP won't carve up his bass and pay for lab tests.

There isn't much discussion or argument to be had over whether a company should give you what it says it's giving you. You will be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't believe that. The question is whether that's what happened here. So far, I've seen nothing definitive showing that it is. A blurry picture of wood that could probably reasonably be called mahogany, following wood industry naming conventions, is not something to make definitive statements over, as several people are doing here.

Again, when guitar makers say "mahogany," they are being vague on purpose. It gives them wiggle room to source a variety of species of lumber for the same products. It helps them keep costs down. I don't see a problem with that, as long as what they're giving you is something that is routinely called "mahogany" in the lumber trade...which is a LOT of stuff.

Should
                            they be more specific? Well, of course, as hobbyists, we would like them to be. But I don't know about "should." I myself am perfectly content to let a low end line of instruments be made out of some general category of wood, if it helps keeps the prices low by allowing them to be less specific in the lumber that they purchase. Should they lie? No. But I don't think they did that here, and even if they did, we can't prove it based on what we know.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-29-2020, 06:20 PM.
                            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Meh... IAB... You're bending over... I want truth in advertising you told me you're giving me mahogany I want ****ing mahogany I don't care what it is you're selling just make sure you label it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                                Meh... IAB... You're bending over... I want truth in advertising you told me you're giving me mahogany I want ****ing mahogany I don't care what it is you're selling just make sure you label it correctly.
                                For the umpteenth time, we don’t know anything that leads us to believe that this is not a wood commonly referred to as “Mahogany” in the lumber industry. Again, hundreds of different types of lumber are called that.
                                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X