X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Re: Bass advice - Ibanez SR505 vs Fender J

I've been playing a passive Warmoth 4-string J-Bass for 12 years now. I dig it.

I recorded and was gigging for years using a passive 4-string Deluxe Fender P-Bass featuring a Jazz neck (from the factory this way) and the P+J pickup combo, I used this bass from the late 90s to about 2005. Great bass. I actually like the thin-at-the-nut Jazz neck profile. Then I went to an entry level active MM Stingray for a few years. I personally prefer the fat active MM tones, but, passive tones have their place in my heart as well. After the MM I built two 4 string Warmoth Jazz basses, one active and one passive. I kept the passive one, sold the active one to a good friend of mine who proceeded to rip the active electronics out of it and use it as a passive bass. He loved it.

Never played the SR505 and I have never experimented much with 5 strings. They are cool, but just not for me. I am a finger player, I have used picks but I pretty much never use picks when playing bass anymore. I am not a slapper or a popper either.

In the end, the best way to buy a bass for the purpose of having one is to do exactly what you are doing. Trying them out and deciding which one works best for your needs!

Leave a comment:

• Metalman_666
    replied

Minor update, I ended up recording a track with his parts J Bass and really like how it turned out. Once it's back from mastering I'll post up in Tips & Clips!

Definitely has that Jazz Bass tone. The Ibanez can mimic it pretty well, but can do its own thing too. I think I like having the 5th string just to know it's there, if I need to play something below the Low E I have options.

To throw a curveball, the same buddy has been unloading a bunch of gear and has an American Deluxe Dimension Bass (4-string) for sale which he let me borrow. AFAIK it is Fender's answer to the Stingray but has never been very popular

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Phantasmagoria
    replied

I just got a cheap SR370E last year or so and I love it. I'm pretty much a guitar player who never went near a bass guitar in the 25+ years I've been playing, but then when one came up for sale locally practically unused I decided it might be a cool thing to have & grabbed it for a decent price.

It's easy as hell to play & I've kind of got the hang of making it sound pretty sweet in a mix too ..lot's of cool/very usable tones! Really could'nt be happier with it though I've never played another bass before or since so who knows how it compares to what's out there

Totally serves my purposes though..I'm glad I bought it.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I absolutely love playing with a 5 string player.
    Who has a good five string.
    Still waiting on being able to upgrade mine.
    Meanwhile my Ibanez 695EX four string tuned down to D will have to suffice.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• donaldr
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Been having the 4 vs 5 string discussion with bass players. I really think there isn't much need for the 5 string. It's a nice to have.

One thing they pointed out was that the "low notes" are not the biggest best reason for them. It's playing busy lines in 5th position.

I don't play "busy lines" or deep Jazz/Pop so I'll likely stick to 4 strings in the future. I do have a 5 though. But mostly I just rest my thumb on the 5th string.
    Never gone to a rehearsal with a new singer who cannot sings the song you practice for many hours in the same key as the record?
    String spacing on a 5-string is often narrower than its 4-string counterpart, which I prefer.
    Downtuning a 4-string bass to Eb or D is not as straightforward as changing string gauge on a guitar (like going from 9 to 10 or 11 or 12). Bigger bass strings sometime don't fit the bridge.
    The B-string thumb rest is also very efficient. I can play my E string with the same "travel" with my right fingers as the other strings. So I'm getting a better string-to-string uniformity.
    It's a personal choice. Since I'm playing 5-string basses, I don't use my 4-string basses at all.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

I absolutely love playing with a 5 string player.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Been having the 4 vs 5 string discussion with bass players. I really think there isn't much need for the 5 string. It's a nice to have.

One thing they pointed out was that the "low notes" are not the biggest best reason for them. It's playing busy lines in 5th position.

I don't play "busy lines" or deep Jazz/Pop so I'll likely stick to 4 strings in the future. I do have a 5 though. But mostly I just rest my thumb on the 5th string.

Leave a comment:

• donaldr
    replied

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    That’s all a matter of the brand strings you use. It has nothing to do with the bass. 34” is 34”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blame it on Ibanez then. I tried many of them brand new in stores...
    But 34" is 34" is not totally true. You have the angle of the B string at the nut and the neck construction that makes or breaks a 34" scale 5-string bass. Good example is old Fender 5-string.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied

actually; for a guitarist wanting a bass that sounds great and is easy to play;

Try the very cheap, and short scale- Epiphone EB-0. All mahogany, thin and easy-to play neck, and humbucker close to the neck. (sunshine of your love type sound)

I had one as my main bass, loved it to shreds, but lost it :/

I will buy one again in an instant, if I find one used.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied

I've always thought Ibanez' necks were too thin.

And you couldn't really "go wrong" with a Jazz Bass

Leave a comment:

• uOpt
    replied

One advantage of the Jazz bass is that you get more choices of aftermarket parts, namely pickups.

If it's your only bass that would be a factor for me.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
    It's been a long time since I played a J-bass, but from what I remember the strings on the J bass were so close together I really didn't like it.
    That’s always been my problem with Jazz necks. Way too narrow at the nut.

I'm a guitarist that doesn't play much bass , but I do pick with my fingers. the 505 works great for me and every time I pick it up and play it, it puts a smile on my face. Also I don't think I could really gel with a 4 string, that's just a personal thing for me though cause I'm playing a lot of songs written for keyboard, that would require drop D or a lower tuning, but I don't need to since i have the B string there
    I also play guitar in a band, although I’ve mostly been a bassist in bands growing up. I play both with a pick, but sometimes I play bass with my fingers. Depends on the song.

I’ve played 5 strings exclusively since about 1988. So here I am playing a 4 string Jazz bass in one of my bands. Kinda funny. [emoji16] Took me a bit to get oriented on the bass, plus it’s tuned down to C#.

Leave a comment:

• BeKindRewind
    replied

I love my SR505! It's been a long time since I played a J-bass, but from what I remember the strings on the J bass were so close together I really didn't like it. That's about the only comparison I can make but that alone makes the choice pretty easy , for me

I'm a guitarist that doesn't play much bass , but I do pick with my fingers. the 505 works great for me and every time I pick it up and play it, it puts a smile on my face. Also I don't think I could really gel with a 4 string, that's just a personal thing for me though cause I'm playing a lot of songs written for keyboard, that would require drop D or a lower tuning, but I don't need to since i have the B string there
    Last edited by BeKindRewind; 06-16-2020, 02:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
    The B string felt flobby on the Ibanez compared to my other 34" scale 5 string basses.
    That’s all a matter of the brand strings you use. It has nothing to do with the bass. 34” is 34”.

Leave a comment:

• donaldr
    replied

I have a Jazz 5 string, I tried an SR505, but I much prefer my Yamaha TRBX505. I also have an LTD Surveyor 5 that is a joy to play, which is a modern P/MM.
    The B string felt flobby on the Ibanez compared to my other 34" scale 5 string basses.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X