X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Re: NBD - Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

Mine weighs in a 7 lbs, but it's a Tobias. Not a Fender. So apples & oranges.

Edit: Just for fun, I measured my MIM Fender P-Bass. It comes in at 9 lbs. Both were measured on a bathroom scale by me measuring myself, then with me holding the bass and subtracting. I wouldn't be surprised if those reading are off by +/- 1/2 pound. (Or more.)
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-10-2020, 12:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Powdered Toast Man
    replied

Yep that J was like a boat anchor. The Mustang weighs in at a hair over 8 lbs on the kitchen scale.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Ah. That makes sense. I always play mine sitting down. So the weight isn't a big issue.

I have a Quarter Pound in my P-Bass. Love it. I got a QP for my J-bass from ItsaBass, but I also got a set of Apollo's, so haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-10-2020, 10:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Powdered Toast Man
    replied

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Nice. Love the color too.

But curious. What didn't you like about the J-bass?
    Thx!

It's weird about the J Bass. I owned it for like 15 years. I had it set up properly but for whatever reason it was just no fun to play. It was a 2001 MIM Standard. The reason I held on to it for so long is that the TONE was insane from it. I had SD Quarter Pound pickups in there along with a push/pull to switch the pickups between series and parallel. It was absolutely massive sounding. But it was also HEAVY. Overall it sounded great but felt like a chore to play. At one point I owned an American Deluxe Jazz Bass and that thing played like butter, so it's not J Basses in general. Maybe it's because I've spent the last 10 years primarily on guitar that I now find the Mustang Bass much more comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Nice. Love the color too.

But curious. What didn't you like about the J-bass?

Leave a comment:

• Powdered Toast Man
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Congrats! That is a great color, too. I have a friend with a Mustang Bass that put a Hot Rails guitar pickup in there. Fun stuff.
    Interestingly enough the JMJ Mustang Bass has a specific pickup made my Seymour Duncan.

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Congrats! That is a great color, too. I have a friend with a Mustang Bass that put a Hot Rails guitar pickup in there. Fun stuff.
    longcat has a Cool Rails bridge in her Squier Bronco. With flat wounds it's a very Jameson-esque sort of tone.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Powdered Toast Man
    started a topic NBD - Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

NBD - Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

I used to own one of the CIJ Mustang Basses and I foolishly sold it and regretted it ever since. I finally decided to sell off my Jazz Bass as it was no fun to play and pulled the trigger on this: Fender Justin Meldal-Johnsen Mustang Bass. It ticks all the boxes I want in a Mustang. It showed up today and it's everything I love about playing a Mustang. The tone, the feel, it's just fun to play!

Working...
X