X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solspirit
    replied
    Re: Amp stand.

Isn't the traditional amp stand another cab?
    ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Originally posted by chadd View Post
    Had a sound man pull the bass out of all of our monitors two songs into a set because he didn't want us "trashing the monitors" because we were "too damn lazy to haul an amp like real musicians". Sweetheart of a guy, really.
    Nice. I really don't like sound people who can't work with what the band is used to doing.

Leave a comment:

• chadd
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Same here. But I do want to make sure that I am able to hear it. These days the bass amp has a DI to the PA system so the amp onstage, at least in my band, is for a monitor and that's it.
    Had a sound man pull the bass out of all of our monitors two songs into a set because he didn't want us "trashing the monitors" because we were "too damn lazy to haul an amp like real musicians". Sweetheart of a guy, really.

Leave a comment:

• donaldr
    replied

Never used a stand with a bass cab/combo. If I refer to my hi-fi background, IMHO the stand would have to be very strong, heavy (maybe filled with sand) and have spikes to not destroy the attack of the bass sound. A stand for a guitar cab/combo should work (not much bass compared to a bass amp) but for bass I would use a tilt leg over a stand if I'd want my speakers pointing at my ears.
    On the bass world, that's why 2x10" cab exists. And it's better to have two 2x10" cabs stacked instead of one 4x10" cab. There's now 2x8" bass cabs. So two 2x8" bass cabs (with a mini bass head) would be lighter to carry than a bass combo and a stand.
    I would prefer carrying a second cab to put under my current cab to raise it (and have more cone surface) instead of carrying a stand.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

it will reduce the low low end noticeably but that can be a nice thing. getting the amp aimed at your head should help you hear it better

Leave a comment:

• Explorer84
    replied

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    so do you just want to isolate the cab from the floor or are you trying to get the cab more aimed at your head so you can hear better with less stage volume?

I just wondering if I placed it on a stand would it affect the low end quite significantly. So, I guess the answer to your question would be aiming the amp towards my head to hear it better.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied

my Carvin Bass Combo amp has a slope on the lower back side to "kick" it back and aim it up at ya head

most of the time the bass amp on stage is pointed at the Drummer and if you want a mad Drummer
    there is a recipe

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Same here. But I do want to make sure that I am able to hear it. These days the bass amp has a DI to the PA system so the amp onstage, at least in my band, is for a monitor and that's it.
    had some great shows DESTROYED by the sound-man mixing my bass "****e" trough the PA,
    and not letting me run my bass amp alone...

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Whether on a stand or on the floor, I can never judge how loud or what the bass really sounds like, until I walk across the room from the amp.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

Whether on a stand or on the floor, I can never judge how loud or what the bass really sounds like, until I walk across the room from the amp.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Decoupling a bass amp with a stand has benefits and disadvantages -it definitely clears up the mid range, quiets the room, and any proximity phase cancelation from inside the room placement BUT that same factor can be use to make a bass sound much better too -it's all about figuring out the throw and modal cancellation and build up in a room and strategizing from there.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

so do you just want to isolate the cab from the floor or are you trying to get the cab more aimed at your head so you can hear better with less stage volume?

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Never really had trouble hearing bass from the ground. Guitar yes...bass no.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied

Maybe just try some "Hi-fi" spikes?

they'll decrease the rumble from the floor.

Also, place your cab a bit away from the wall. To decrease the resonance.

Leave a comment:

• Explorer84
    replied

The decoupling aspect of getting the amp off of the floor is what I was interested in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X