The claw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The claw

I'm doing spider exercises to target the claw fingers. I think it will help with the clumsiness caused by the claw. I don't think it will take away the claw tho. It's clawed for life! :o
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      I'm doing spider exercises to target the claw fingers. I think it will help with the clumsiness caused by the claw. I don't think it will take away the claw tho. It's clawed for life! :o
      Nonsense... If you're in as good a shape as you say you are it's only clawed if you want it to be.

Comment

It's clawed mofo lol! It got like that when I was studying jazz bass at 19 and my teach showed me that fingering. I haven't been focusing on bass since college and it's always been like that.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Look dude, you know nothing about clawed hands. Lol..
          A year or two at jazz bass is not going to ruin your hand. If you're whining now I don't want to know you when you hit 40.

Comment

My hand isn't ruined, it just forms that 3 fingered claw with the ring finger paired with the middle finger while in a relaxed state. The claw!
            I bought them for you

Comment

]

There are also many more excercises to properly separate/ strengthen the four fingers:

1.: put all four fingers on the high e on adjacent positions starting 10th fret lift you ring finger, and only your ring finger and use it to do continous hammerons/pulloffs on the 12th fret of the B string. Make it sound lound and clear, the end goal would be that it is so strong that you one can barely tell if its picked or only left hand (a la Guthrie Govan)
              2.: Same thing, but now first finger E10, second finger B11, Ring finger B12, pinky E13. Again, hammer on and pull offs with the third finger (alternating between A# and B). I usually do both for 1 minutes as a part of a warm up routine
              3.: Again on one string, bt this time each note is picked,alternating between the following pair of fingerings:
              - 1234/1243
              - 1324/1342
              - 1423/1432

I do each fingering 5x and each pair thrice. Then shift positions.

4.: Take a Major 7 shape with root on D16, 3rd on G15, 5th on B14 and 7th on e13. Start lowering the notes of the chord by a half step one by one, starting with the 7th and, 5th and so on and sound each chord. Once you reach E1, then go back up. When I first started this, I couldn't go all the way and needed to reposition my left hand fingers with my right hand. That's OK, because the idea is to make the stretch and get your muscles to hol the shape. Eventually they will get all the way and you can start worrying about grabbing each note right behind the fret not to pull them sharp and obviously the ultimate goall is to lose the "deathgrip" and do the shifts effortlessy.
              Last edited by nexion218; 07-16-2020, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Also:

Edit: Just realized that we're int the BASSment. Sorry about that. But you have guitars to do the exercises on.
                Last edited by nexion218; 07-16-2020, 01:52 AM.

Comment

I have never had any kind of teacher to show me proper techniques or anything like that as a self-taught player, but my left hand definitely does not look like that. I have been playing for 23 years with bass being my primary instrument until about 2008.

Of course, my fingers are all sort of effed up from being a two way starter in the trenches on my junior and high school football teams... but from playing guitar and bass my hands actually are pretty soft, city-boy hands now (even though I moved to the country after growing up in the North Minny vicinity).
                  Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                    Also:

Edit: Just realized that we're int the BASSment. Sorry about that. But you have guitars to do the exercises on.
                    I do those types of exercises on bass. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The claw!
                      I bought them for you

Comment

I got a claw too from playing nothing but power chords forever! Ha ha ha
                        Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 11-15-2020, 01:37 PM.
                        https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Stop crying and do something about it.

Comment

Our Health and Wellness pages offer inside looks into treating disease, eating nutritiously, and living healthily. Explore our various articles and resources for useful health information to stay healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                                I got a claw too from playing nothing but power chords forever! Ha ha ha
                                Lol. Damn claw!
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X