banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neodymium Magnet Bass Speakers - 18" - Does It Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neodymium Magnet Bass Speakers - 18" - Does It Exist?

I currently run my GK1001RB through an old Kustom cab I loaded with two 15" Eminence Basslite C2515s a few years back. I am pretty sure I wired it to be 8 ohms, but I would have to bust out the DMM to verify that.

Anyway, the time has come to get new cabs. I want one of them to be a 2x15 loaded with Eminence Neo mag 15s if they still make them. However, I am having trouble finding information about whether Eminence makes an 18. I do not think they do. Does anybody know if I can find a good 18" neo mag bass driver?
    Soundcloud

Re: Neodymium Magnet Bass Speakers - 18" - Does It Exist?

i dont know if ive seen a 18" neo bass speaker before, ive seen 18" neo subs before though so maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      i dont know if ive seen a 18" neo bass speaker before, ive seen 18" neo subs before though so maybe?
      That is what I am hoping. Over the weekend, I tried to track one down though, and I could not find one. I did see a few neo magnet subs for sure, but I still have not found an actual 18" bass cabinet speaker with a neo magnet.

So, I still have not found one. I might have to settle for a non-neo.

Has anyone around here used any 18" bass cabs before? If so, do you have a speaker preference?
      Soundcloud

Comment

If there was ever a candidate for a neo powered speaker an 18in bass cab would be it.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
          If there was ever a candidate for a neo powered speaker an 18in bass cab would be it.
          Right? Is it even possible to have a custom speaker made? I want a neo 18" bass driver!
          Soundcloud

Comment

Seriously, Eminence... PM me, you can have my card info. Make my speaker.
            Soundcloud

Comment

The specs on this one are within reason.
              https://hengdaaudio.en.made-in-china.com/product/qNjxzPWOSVkK/China-18-Inch-Neodymium-Professional-Audio-Subwoofer-Component-Speaker.html

https://jblpro.com/en/site_elements/2241h-data-sheet

Last edited by idsnowdog; 07-22-2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Have you ever tried to use a subwoofer spec speaker in a bass cab before?

Or has anyone around here tried that? I am curious how it sounds and well, if it works...
                Last edited by Snake Aces; 07-24-2020, 06:11 PM.
                Soundcloud

Comment

What I was noticing is that the frequency range is similar between the two speakers. The Chinese made neo speaker is 40-1.6khz while the 18-inch JBL is 30-3khz. The JBL has a slightly wider range but I'm not sure how much difference it would make in practice? Because many bass amps have a horn or 10 inch speaker for high-frequency snap.

Comment

18" bass speakers, are the **** \m/

-Erl
                    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                      What I was noticing is that the frequency range is similar between the two speakers. The Chinese made neo speaker is 40-1.6khz while the 18-inch JBL is 30-3khz. The JBL has a slightly wider range but I'm not sure how much difference it would make in practice? Because many bass amps have a horn or 10 inch speaker for high-frequency snap.
                      I'd prefer the one that goes "the lowest"... :/

I had a resonant frequency of 16hz!! in a home built- closed Pine cabinet i used to own. With a 15" Yamaha speaker.

that "porting" may just as well KILL all lows, below a certain frequency. Cool for very-high volume stuff,

but not cool for a "hi-fi" jazz "high end" type of tone.

(god, I miss my gear). :/

-Erlend
                      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Well, I got an update from the custom cab builder, my 2x12 guitar cab is coming along ahead of the expected schedule. So, I am going to need to source an 18" bass speaker sooner than I thought.

I do not use the horn much when I use a speakon cable and compatible cab with the GK. I care about the lowest frequencies, because I am not a slapper.

With that being said, I do not want to gamble with something that might work in theory. I may have to get ahold of Eminence somehow.
                        Soundcloud

Comment

Carvin Audio used to have em
                          I had a 15 neo some years ago
                          And I'm sure there was a 18 version as well

EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post

Interesting. Have you ever tried to use a subwoofer spec speaker in a bass cab before?

Or has anyone around here tried that? I am curious how it sounds and we'll, if it works...
                            The fEARful cabs use a 12" or 15" sub with a 6.5" midrange driver and an optional tweeter. longcat has a 12/6 cube and it's an amazing, small, lightweight cab.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I did some poking around the Parts Express website (in Ohio), and yes there are 18" Neo woofers.
                              This is probably the best value for the money -- their house brand, a Dayton Audio PN470-8.
                              Cast aluminum basket, paper/fiberglass cone, power handling of 800w RMS (1600w peak) @ 8Ω impedance.
                              Sensitivity is 97.1 dB at 1w/1m.

You'll need to throw some wattage at this puppy, but it'll shake the room.

sigpic
                              "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                              --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                              Originally posted by Lewguitar
                              In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Working...
                              X