banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neodymium Magnet Bass Speakers - 18" - Does It Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Thank you! I think it will work. I am going to try it.

Leave a comment:

• ginormous
    replied
    Found the specs online.
    https://www.gallien-krueger.com/1001-rb-specs

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Okay, I think my GK 1001RB-II cranks out 700 watts RMS at 4 ohms. I plan on running the 1x18 alongside a 2x15, each cab at 8 ohms. I am going to go with the Eminence. The only thing I have not decided on is if I will add some kind of bi-amp horn to the 2x15. I really don't use them, but it might be nice to have the option if I ever want it.

I will try the Eminence woofer with the 1001RB, if I want more power than that I may seek out a used 2001RB or a new 1200 watt GK Fusion head. I will see how the 1001RB pushes the 18 first.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Carvin Audio used to have em
    I had a 15 neo some years ago
    And I'm sure there was a 18 version as well
    Thank you, I will check Carvin's options out as well!

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Originally posted by dystrust View Post

The fEARful cabs use a 12" or 15" sub with a 6.5" midrange driver and an optional tweeter. longcat has a 12/6 cube and it's an amazing, small, lightweight cab.
    Dude, these are cool. I had not heard of these until you shared the link here. Thank you. I might want to check one of these out at some point.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Originally posted by ginormous View Post
    If you insist on an Eminence, yes, they make a Neo 18". You'll probably have to eat ramen noodles for a few months. It's $580.00 US.
    https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...iver--290-5660
    Thank you! I currently use a GK 1001-RB, the same head I've been using for 20 years now. I would like to keep it, but I will have to dig around for my manual. I do not even remember what kind of wattage it has. I do know my plan is to run two separate 8 ohm cabs. One of them being a 2x15 (maybe with horns) and the other a 1x18. If my GK has enough power, I might actually be interested in eating ramen noodles for a few months to make this Eminence 1x18 happen.

This sounds like a rig I would love to piece together. I just do not want to lose my GK tone to get there. I have not checked out the new GK heads, maybe they have something with more power now if I need it.

I really appreciate you finding both of these speaker options! I have not had much time to look the past few weeks. Thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• ginormous
    replied
    If you insist on an Eminence, yes, they make a Neo 18". You'll probably have to eat ramen noodles for a few months. It's $580.00 US.
    https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...iver--290-5660

Leave a comment:

• ginormous
    replied
    I did some poking around the Parts Express website (in Ohio), and yes there are 18" Neo woofers.
    This is probably the best value for the money -- their house brand, a Dayton Audio PN470-8.
    Cast aluminum basket, paper/fiberglass cone, power handling of 800w RMS (1600w peak) @ 8Ω impedance.
    Sensitivity is 97.1 dB at 1w/1m.

You'll need to throw some wattage at this puppy, but it'll shake the room.

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied
    Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
    Re: Neodymium Magnet Bass Speakers - 18" - Does It Exist?

Interesting. Have you ever tried to use a subwoofer spec speaker in a bass cab before?

Or has anyone around here tried that? I am curious how it sounds and we'll, if it works...
    The fEARful cabs use a 12" or 15" sub with a 6.5" midrange driver and an optional tweeter. longcat has a 12/6 cube and it's an amazing, small, lightweight cab.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied
    Carvin Audio used to have em
    I had a 15 neo some years ago
    And I'm sure there was a 18 version as well

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied
    Well, I got an update from the custom cab builder, my 2x12 guitar cab is coming along ahead of the expected schedule. So, I am going to need to source an 18" bass speaker sooner than I thought.

I do not use the horn much when I use a speakon cable and compatible cab with the GK. I care about the lowest frequencies, because I am not a slapper.

With that being said, I do not want to gamble with something that might work in theory. I may have to get ahold of Eminence somehow.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
    What I was noticing is that the frequency range is similar between the two speakers. The Chinese made neo speaker is 40-1.6khz while the 18-inch JBL is 30-3khz. The JBL has a slightly wider range but I'm not sure how much difference it would make in practice? Because many bass amps have a horn or 10 inch speaker for high-frequency snap.
    I'd prefer the one that goes "the lowest"... :/

I had a resonant frequency of 16hz!! in a home built- closed Pine cabinet i used to own. With a 15" Yamaha speaker.

that "porting" may just as well KILL all lows, below a certain frequency. Cool for very-high volume stuff,

but not cool for a "hi-fi" jazz "high end" type of tone.

(god, I miss my gear). :/

-Erlend

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied

18" bass speakers, are the **** \m/

-Erl

Leave a comment:

• idsnowdog
    replied

What I was noticing is that the frequency range is similar between the two speakers. The Chinese made neo speaker is 40-1.6khz while the 18-inch JBL is 30-3khz. The JBL has a slightly wider range but I'm not sure how much difference it would make in practice? Because many bass amps have a horn or 10 inch speaker for high-frequency snap.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Aces
    replied

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
    Interesting. Have you ever tried to use a subwoofer spec speaker in a bass cab before?

Or has anyone around here tried that? I am curious how it sounds and well, if it works...
    Last edited by Snake Aces; 07-24-2020, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X