Brainstorming for Custom Bass Cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming for Custom Bass Cabs

I've recently decided it is time to upgrade all of my cabs. A custom cab builder is almost done building a 2x12 guitar cab for me. I am going to ask him to build a couple of bass cabs for me next. He is a very busy guy, so I want to give him some time to relax before unloading this request on him. I also want to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row so I do not waste any of his time trying to decide what I want.

I recently posted a thread seeking a neo mag 18" speaker for a 1x18. Found one that should work. So, here are the plans/questions I am going to be running by the cab builder:

Bass cabs order:

2 cabs, each cab = 8 ohms

I use a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II (700 watts RMS at 4 ohms)

Use this tolex for both cabs.

FIRST CAB:

Ported and tuned 2x15

Should I add a biampable horn via Speakon cable or some kind of smaller tweeter type speakers?

Use these 15” speakers if we can find a brand new pair, I have a used pair here if necessary, but I would like to start with a new pair if possible.

If we can’t find a new pair, these speakers from Eminence should do.

Any thoughts/suggestions on these speaker selections? I really love Eminence speakers in my gear and I love neo mag speakers in bass cabs...

SECOND CAB:

Ported and tuned 1x18

Use this speaker if it will work.

Even if I have to upgrade to a used GK 2001RB or a new GK Fusion 1200W head, I want to get a 1x18 in my rig. Do you think my 1001RB will be enough to at least make it work for now?
    Soundcloud

That rig, if you biamp the horn should easily be able to play a medium size bar without a PA.
    Some people who aren't as deaf as I might say a small club, no problem.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      That rig, if you biamp the horn should easily be able to play a medium size bar without a PA.
      Some people who aren't as deaf as I might say a small club, no problem.

If society ever returns to what might be considered normal, people are going to need to get out and let loose. I'd be happy to bring a little bass to the party. I haven't played bass publicly in a while, mostly guitar for the past decade now. Obviously I'm scheming something with this rig...
      Soundcloud

Comment

Running two ported cabs with those speaker combinations is going to be sub city. Your bass notes are hardly even going to be distinguishable. You're going to need a couple of other cabinets with either 12's or 10's to add some high end punch in there.

Comment

I might not port the 2x15. I run a non-ported 2x15 right now and I have no problems distinguishing any notes with the neo Eminence speakers at all. Of course, it is not ported. If the solution is to just leave the 2x15 without porting, so be it... no matter what though, the 1x18 is getting a port
          Soundcloud

Comment

I used to run one of these Cerwin Vegas with my Carvin 1x18 and 2x12 cabinets, and it was awesome!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cerwin_vega_b36_old.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	6006533
            Attached Files

Comment

Holy hell. I'd hate to be in the front row!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                I used to run one of these Cerwin Vegas with my Carvin 1x18 and 2x12 cabinets, and it was awesome!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cerwin_vega_b36_old.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	6006533
                Nice rig. I have used a lot of different cab combos with this GK. In the early years, it was aluminum Hartkes, a 2x15 under a 2x10. After that I did a GK Neo 212 with a 1x15. For the past 5 years or so, just a single 2x15 loaded with Eminence neo 15s. Ever since I discovered Eminence speakers with the Crex many moons ago, I switched to them for almost everything.

Anyway, I want this new rig to be my best one yet. By far. Lights out.

I can't tell you how many times my GK head has gone missing after playing a dive bar. I always find a way to track it down. I can be very intimidating when I need to be. My point is, people love my tone and they know it starts with that head.
                Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Holy hell. I'd hate to be in the front row!
                  I love bass. I just hope the rooms are packed with beings full of water when I jam bass in any venue. I like it when the air is thick with bass.
                  Last edited by Snake Aces; 08-05-2020, 03:12 PM.
                  Soundcloud

Comment

There was an Acoustic 18in ported bass cab with speaker on Craigslist in MPLS this weekend for only $70.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                      There was an Acoustic 18in ported bass cab with speaker on Craigslist in MPLS this weekend for only $70.
                      That's a killer deal if the speaker is halfway decent still. I would be interested, but I have already informed the builder that a bass cab order is coming up next. At any rate, I am guessing that 18 will not last long at that price if it checks out.
                      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post

That's a killer deal if the speaker is halfway decent still. I would be interested, but I have already informed the builder that a bass cab order is coming up next. At any rate, I am guessing that 18 will not last long at that price if it checks out.
                        There have been a number of bass/pa cabs available lately for chump change but they have moved fast.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...168509177.html
                        Last edited by idsnowdog; 08-04-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Thinking about what's been said regarding porting, this is what I would do. Port the 18" cab, leave the 2x15 unported and add a horn to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            Thinking about what's been said regarding porting, this is what I would do. Port the 18" cab, leave the 2x15 unported and add a horn to it.

Indeed, this is definitely the new plan.

Ported 1x18, non-ported 2x15 with a horn. Are there any premium horns out there? Any horn recommendations for the 50 watt bi-amp on my GK?

I have not really looked at them yet... I will try to get to it soon.
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                            X