Preparing Custom Bass Cab Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing Custom Bass Cab Order

I have recently been seeking custom cab builders for guitar and bass. After a bit of a rocky road, I may have found another builder to tackle my bass cab request.

I decided to start checking ebay. I found a cab builder who sells a lot of cabs with decent ratings, seller capajnr.

I asked them if they will accept my request. They said yes.

I can't decide between Ernie Ball casters on the bass cabs or just having custom road cases with wheels built for them. I am tempted to go with road cases...

Other than that, the ebay seller told me to pick two of their cab designs and tell them the speakers I want. So, I just finished doing that

Here are the two cabs I am selecting for my cab framework:

2X15 (requested NO porting on this cab)

1X18

Here are most of the other requests (besides not being sure about the casters), I will select the black jute mesa grille cloth from speaker builder supply:

2 cabs, each cab = 8 ohms

FYI: I use a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II (700 watts RMS at 4 ohms)

Use this tolex for both cabs:

https://www.speakerbuildersupply.com...e-p/tpeb15.htm

FIRST CAB:

2x15 with bi-ampable horn option via Speakon cable for GK

Use these 15” speakers:

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/sp...ltaliteII_2515

SECOND CAB:

Tuned 1x18

Use this speaker:

https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...iver--290-5660

If they do a good job, I will possibly order a full stack of two 4x12s wrapped in that same tolex (for guitar) in the future.

Cheers
    Last edited by Snake Aces; 08-21-2020, 01:50 AM.
    Soundcloud

I am excited! Greg from capajnr got back to me. He wants to build me a smaller cab to show me his quality before I decide to place the big order.

So, I decided I want a small 1x12 bass cab with a horn, 8 ohm, for my basement practice space. So, I am going to have him build me one of these wrapped in blue snakeskin tolex:

With this speaker:

And this horn:

Eminence Speaker is America's premier manufacturer of guitar speakers, bass speakers, and professional audio loudspeakers since 1966.
    Soundcloud

Comment

I would not use road cases on big cabinets...unless I was on a long, truly professional tour, with roadies. Cabs are bulky enough already, and plenty durable without road cases. Combos are more fragile, and usually smaller and lighter, so road cases are a better fit with lighter duty use.

I'd consider an old style Ampeg-esque detachable dolly, and a decent quality slip cover instead.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        I would not use road cases on big cabinets...unless I was on a professional tour, with roadies. The cabs are bulky enough already, and plenty durable.

I'd consider an old style Ampeg-esque detachable dolly, and a decent quality slip cover instead.
        Good point! Thank you for the sound advice. You are right.
        Soundcloud

Comment

I also decided to go with an SUV instead of an open bed pickup, so road cases are not necessary anymore.
          Soundcloud

Comment

Greg let me know the first cab is almost ready to be shipped! I think it looks great:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 7.23.11 PM.png
Views:	144
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	6017376
            Soundcloud

Comment

how heavy is it? looks like a beast

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                how heavy is it? looks like a beast
                Only 47 pounds including the speaker!
                Soundcloud

Comment

thats not bad at all

Comment

Now playing...

Early tests are positive. I only took a moment to hook up the Speakon cable so I can make sure it works. The Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II still pounds, but the amount of bass I am getting from this 1x12 is impressive!

The best part? This whole 1x12 bass cab is under 50 pounds! Including shipping materials, the package weighed in at 47 pounds. High quality and lightweight equals a win-win.

I will have to take time to crank it up a bit after I finish writing for the day, but I am excited!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200923_132643.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.7 KB ID:	6018688
                    Last edited by Snake Aces; 09-23-2020, 12:16 PM.
                    Soundcloud

Comment

^^ I thought you were ordering a 18"? :o

(EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read your post. Congrats )
                      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X