Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barney Kessel Autumn Leaves Bass Cover Needed

Hi Folks,

I am working on a project for my brother who is retiring in a little less than 2 years. He wants to start playing guitar again once that happens. He gave me my first guitar lessons many many years ago. He told me recently his favorite guitarist is Barney Kessel. So I decided to make a video of myself playing a Barney Kessel song for him as inspiration and retirement gift. The song is a jazz standard called 'Autumn Leaves'.

I would love to have a backing track but I am having no luck finding one in the right key. I found 2 bass players who attempted Barney Kessel's version and reached out to them, but have had no response. I have also searched youtube for weeks and even attempted to remove the guitar from the original song in 3 different audio programs. The backing track I am using now is the from the original song. Luckily there are only 3 instruments and when I use 'reduce vocals' the program removes mostly guitar but leaves the bass and drums sounding like they are underwater. I don't know how or even if it is possible to improve the sound.

Would anyone be interested or know someone or somewhere I can get a decent backing track? or suggest a jazz bass site where I might have some luck? I am learning the song exactly as the original recording and would like the bass to be as true to the original also. I am o.k. with making a public project out of this, maybe a drummer will join. I have an account on SoundCloud and Kompoz.

I'm willing to help make a backing track. I only have my pbass tho.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

What key is "the right key"?

Comment

Are you gonna do this one in C minor? I can do that bass. It doesn't do anything special just goes from 2 when it comes in to 4. But ya it would be on electric. Also props if you can get Barney's part down!
        I bought them for you

Comment

I am going by the transcription which is used as a background to this video, and is a perfect match to the recording.
          I believe it is in the key of Eb
          The bass and drums come in at about 1:38.
          So far I have learned up to the 4 minute mark.

Sorry I could not open your link, but it looks the same. I took out the . but it still didn't work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            What key is "the right key"?
            It looks to be in the key of Eb

Comment

I can start practicing it. Like I said, it would be on electric tho. I dunno how much authenticity you'd want. Also I'd need to know how you'd want me to outline the changes. Stick exactly to the sheet music or just 4 to the bar without those anticipations or different changes or what.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Electric bass is fine.
                I would like best to have it sound exactly like the recording (timing and notes).
                Is that doable?

Comment

Heh. I'm not gonna transcribe the tune. Best of luck with your project.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

You could always just find a backing track that sounds like the best performance to you and use software to change it Eb.
                    Last edited by beaubrummels; 09-18-2020, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X