Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who/What can make me a bass, with these specs? :o

Well...

As I lost everything i owned (25K USD) in musical equipment, in a house fire-

I'm left with nothing but an electric guitar, amp, and a western dreadnought.

I've studied bass guitar for many years, including fretless bass at Sund Jazz School in middle norway...

I still consider myself a bassist.

so...

I'm looking for, what bass to replace what I've owned- (an Ibanez RD500Fretless, 34", a Chateau full acoustic that I converted to fretless, a 5 string Cruiser (by crafter) and an Epiphone EB-0...)

Of all these, I think the Chateau 34" fretless full-acoustic (that I planned to put an magnetic pickup in, with the steel flatwounds on it.) and the Epiphone EB-0, was my favourites.

I'd love to go full fretless again- it's not easy at first, but it's like going from a tricycle to a bicycle. Once you get the hang of it, the "third wheel" just make you tip over .

What I really need, is a good (thick!!) neck, and a pickup placed very close to the neck. A 30" scale doesn't mind, if I'm going fretted- but for fretless, a 34" scale is important.

... So...I'm considering to either get another Epiphone EB-0, or a "beatles/ violin " bass, (afraid of a too thin/narrow neck though),
    or a really good, (I want a hollow/semi hollow) 34" fretless, with no fretlines, and a "mudbucker" or soapbar close to the fretboard.

Sorry that I'm still just thinking out loud. I need to get this figured out, before I move next year- I might be living with a songer/songwriter who needs someone on bass and keys, aswell as electric guitar .

cheers

-Erl \m/

EDIT: I need to say, that I'm considered (in Norwegian terms) a POOR man. I need to save up for months, to buy a new instrument. So please, nothing over... 500 USD (used or new)

-E
    Last edited by Erlend_G; 09-29-2020, 01:03 PM. Reason: Too poor.
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Maybe talk to Orpheo?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, as long as it doesn't get way too expensive :/

I'm on the lowest possible welfare check here in Norway (for 5 years, because of old debt)... So I'd have to save up for months, to get something really good .

thanks.

-E \m/
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Well, he would know what it might cost. He also might have something in stock that could work, too.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Well, he would know what it might cost. He also might have something in stock that could work, too.
          Thanks for the tip, M8.

When I had the EB-0, it was right before I put a high-mass bridge, and a MM pickup in there . Maybe something like that, a "half-way custom shop" could do the trick? :o

Let me scratch my head, and PM orpheo.

-Erl

Comment

I'd start with another EB0. You know you like it, they're inexpensive, and it'll get you back in the bass game.

Another Short Scale option is the Squier Bronco. Surprisingly nice. Has a Strat pickup in it, which seems weird but I've gigged with mine and it sounds 90% as good as my Fender P bass with all original electronics.

Either way, get yourself some "made for short scale" strings. Makes a difference in my limited experience.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Thanks for replying, alex1fly.

I've thought about another EB-0. They are "very" cheap; and sound great to my ears...

Thing is- these days; I'm in a "spiritual crisis", since I actually (in delirium) burnt down a house- containing everything I've bought, gotten, and saved ; my entire lifetime.

So something tells me- "Erlend, you've owned enough. Don't start dreaming about building "that studio" again..."...

...but

When I had my EB-0, I wanted to put on a heavy-duty bridge, and replace the neck pickup with a Musicman (bar magnet) pickup .

It was a great sound, and easy to play.- stock.

... I'm a "34 inch, fretless bassist" though. In my inner core, "spine and nervous system". So- a simple P, or J bass- with a chunky neck, clean fretboard (maple or ebony)- and one pickup- close to the neck (like the EB-0), would do the trick; for me as a bassist.

I've always believed, that the fretless bass- would sound the best, play the best- and be the best... if only the player had proper experience and training;

the frets would be like the "training wheels" on a bicycle-. Cool for beginners, but making you fall over in the corners, when you got up to speed .

.. I've been thinking about a cheap, and OK "hofner beatles bass"... cause they sound and play great. They look a bit cheesy to me; (and I dislike the Beatles)-
              but, heck. .

...anyway, back to what I said. I don't think I'll get no more instruments, (or even other "stuff"), before this "feeling" i have, goes away.

Thanks for all the replies.

-Erlend

Comment

Schecter Stilletto fretless is a pretty mean bass guitar. Can be found a little cheaper than Fenders too.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I think the key with fretless basses is not letting them get too farty in their tone.... I like fretless basses that are close in tone and attack as an upright double bass.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

i used 050 daddario flats, high action . hehe,.

Comment

My favorite bass is my fretless Warwick Corvette. It's not many of the things you describe aside from fretless and 34" scale, but no matter how I set the controls, it sounds awesome. Mine's German, and I've seen them used in the US for as low as $600. The fretted version is a little pricier, but still unbelievably cheap for what it is.

I like plenty of attack and clarity in my fretless tone, and super low action. At one point, I think I had it around 1mm on the G, just a little higher on the E. I tried D'Addario Chromes on it for a minute, and absolutely hated them.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                        My favorite bass is my fretless Warwick Corvette. It's not many of the things you describe aside from fretless and 34" scale, but no matter how I set the controls, it sounds awesome. Mine's German, and I've seen them used in the US for as low as $600. The fretted version is a little pricier, but still unbelievably cheap for what it is.

I like plenty of attack and clarity in my fretless tone, and super low action. At one point, I think I had it around 1mm on the G, just a little higher on the E. I tried D'Addario Chromes on it for a minute, and absolutely hated them.
                        Fun to hear. All i did was run 50 flats, and up to 3mm action .

-E

Comment

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but $500 isn’t going to get anything luthier built. It’ll go a really long way with a used production model, though.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Not trying to sound like a jerk, but $500 isn’t going to get anything luthier built. It’ll go a really long way with a used production model, though.
                            I was thinking about getting a cheap, fitting used bass- and then have a luthier do some "custom work" i.e. routing for a pickup all close to the neck.

If my plans about a home studio is ever to be realized again (:/) I'm only gonna buy, and use- cheap gear.

Comment

Get a cheap bass, some tools, and learn to do it yourself. For way less than the cost of paying someone to route a pickup cavity you can buy a router.

Comment

Working...
                              X