X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Get a cheap bass, some tools, and learn to do it yourself. For way less than the cost of paying someone to route a pickup cavity you can buy a router.
    That would of course be the best. But problem is, everything I try to fix/repair/etc. I manage to completely wreck XD. .

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Get a cheap bass, some tools, and learn to do it yourself. For way less than the cost of paying someone to route a pickup cavity you can buy a router.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Not trying to sound like a jerk, but $500 isn’t going to get anything luthier built. It’ll go a really long way with a used production model, though.
    I was thinking about getting a cheap, fitting used bass- and then have a luthier do some "custom work" i.e. routing for a pickup all close to the neck.

If my plans about a home studio is ever to be realized again (:/) I'm only gonna buy, and use- cheap gear.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Not trying to sound like a jerk, but $500 isn’t going to get anything luthier built. It’ll go a really long way with a used production model, though.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    My favorite bass is my fretless Warwick Corvette. It's not many of the things you describe aside from fretless and 34" scale, but no matter how I set the controls, it sounds awesome. Mine's German, and I've seen them used in the US for as low as $600. The fretted version is a little pricier, but still unbelievably cheap for what it is.

I like plenty of attack and clarity in my fretless tone, and super low action. At one point, I think I had it around 1mm on the G, just a little higher on the E. I tried D'Addario Chromes on it for a minute, and absolutely hated them.
    Fun to hear. All i did was run 50 flats, and up to 3mm action .

-E

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    My favorite bass is my fretless Warwick Corvette. It's not many of the things you describe aside from fretless and 34" scale, but no matter how I set the controls, it sounds awesome. Mine's German, and I've seen them used in the US for as low as $600. The fretted version is a little pricier, but still unbelievably cheap for what it is.

I like plenty of attack and clarity in my fretless tone, and super low action. At one point, I think I had it around 1mm on the G, just a little higher on the E. I tried D'Addario Chromes on it for a minute, and absolutely hated them.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    i used 050 daddario flats, high action . hehe,.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    I think the key with fretless basses is not letting them get too farty in their tone.... I like fretless basses that are close in tone and attack as an upright double bass.

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    replied
    Schecter Stilletto fretless is a pretty mean bass guitar. Can be found a little cheaper than Fenders too.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Thanks for replying, alex1fly.

I've thought about another EB-0. They are "very" cheap; and sound great to my ears...

Thing is- these days; I'm in a "spiritual crisis", since I actually (in delirium) burnt down a house- containing everything I've bought, gotten, and saved ; my entire lifetime.

So something tells me- "Erlend, you've owned enough. Don't start dreaming about building "that studio" again..."...

...but

When I had my EB-0, I wanted to put on a heavy-duty bridge, and replace the neck pickup with a Musicman (bar magnet) pickup .

It was a great sound, and easy to play.- stock.

... I'm a "34 inch, fretless bassist" though. In my inner core, "spine and nervous system". So- a simple P, or J bass- with a chunky neck, clean fretboard (maple or ebony)- and one pickup- close to the neck (like the EB-0), would do the trick; for me as a bassist.

I've always believed, that the fretless bass- would sound the best, play the best- and be the best... if only the player had proper experience and training;

the frets would be like the "training wheels" on a bicycle-. Cool for beginners, but making you fall over in the corners, when you got up to speed .

.. I've been thinking about a cheap, and OK "hofner beatles bass"... cause they sound and play great. They look a bit cheesy to me; (and I dislike the Beatles)-
    but, heck. .

...anyway, back to what I said. I don't think I'll get no more instruments, (or even other "stuff"), before this "feeling" i have, goes away.

Thanks for all the replies.

-Erlend

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    replied
    I'd start with another EB0. You know you like it, they're inexpensive, and it'll get you back in the bass game.

Another Short Scale option is the Squier Bronco. Surprisingly nice. Has a Strat pickup in it, which seems weird but I've gigged with mine and it sounds 90% as good as my Fender P bass with all original electronics.

Either way, get yourself some "made for short scale" strings. Makes a difference in my limited experience.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, he would know what it might cost. He also might have something in stock that could work, too.
    Thanks for the tip, M8.

When I had the EB-0, it was right before I put a high-mass bridge, and a MM pickup in there . Maybe something like that, a "half-way custom shop" could do the trick? :o

Let me scratch my head, and PM orpheo.

-Erl

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Well, he would know what it might cost. He also might have something in stock that could work, too.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Yeah, as long as it doesn't get way too expensive :/

I'm on the lowest possible welfare check here in Norway (for 5 years, because of old debt)... So I'd have to save up for months, to get something really good .

thanks.

-E \m/

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Maybe talk to Orpheo?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X