Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-string (4 pairs), picolo, short scale basses , ppl share your thoughts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 8-string (4 pairs), picolo, short scale basses , ppl share your thoughts

    what I got in mind is early manowar sounds/tones.

  • #2
    Why do you want paired strings and picolo? Then it's not a bass anymore, it's just a uke lol. Just use light gauge strings for the strings in the proper bass octave and have the paired strings be picolo.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 11-05-2020, 07:35 AM.
    Originally posted by NegativeEase
    I'd wager that Clint can best GuitarStv at Wat and WAAAT... but not Watts.

    I think in the International System of Units (SI) a "WAT" is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint besmirchment per hour

    and WAAAT is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint kilojoule of described Nirvana transgression per post.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is interesting, and something I know nothing about (other than Stanley Clarke using such a thing).
      Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        Why do you want paired strings and picolo? Then it's not a bass anymore, it's just a uke lol. Just use light gauge strings for the strings in the proper bass octave and have the paired strings be picolo.
        thnx I didnt mean all of those attributes at the same time. I meant the kind of "treble-ie" basses, like in Manowar. What I think I like most is 8-string, in a configuration as you said, 4 standard bass + 4 guitar-tuned (1 octave up ).

        But I think that short scale e.g. 30" and standard bass tuning + one good octave pedal (1 octave up), would do wonders.
        Last edited by greekdude; 11-06-2020, 09:42 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think it's a really bad ass sound. Should sound good whatever you go with. Do you already have a 4 string bass you can set up treble-y? Then you can focus your efforts on the 8 string for the new one?
          Originally posted by NegativeEase
          I'd wager that Clint can best GuitarStv at Wat and WAAAT... but not Watts.

          I think in the International System of Units (SI) a "WAT" is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint besmirchment per hour

          and WAAAT is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint kilojoule of described Nirvana transgression per post.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            This is interesting, and something I know nothing about (other than Stanley Clarke using such a thing).
            Funny you mention that. "Quiet Afternoon", from the "School Days" album, was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Great song.

            Comment


            • #7
              Stanley certainly had a weird bass tone, but it worked for him.
              Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

              Comment


              • #8
                Jolly is the expert here I think...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

                Comment


                • #9
                  i'll check out this song. thanx Aceman and Mincer and ArtieToo , hey Clint 55 I dont have no bass, only a 25.5" 7-string guitar

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I generally think of short scale as kinda thuddy with a strong fundamental. I don’t hear what you’re describing, at all.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was thinking that also. If you want trebly maybe stay with regular scale. Let us know if you go with 4 string or 8 string.
                      Originally posted by NegativeEase
                      I'd wager that Clint can best GuitarStv at Wat and WAAAT... but not Watts.

                      I think in the International System of Units (SI) a "WAT" is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint besmirchment per hour

                      and WAAAT is defined as a derived unit of 1 Clint kilojoule of described Nirvana transgression per post.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X