8-string (4 pairs), picolo, short scale basses , ppl share your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-string (4 pairs), picolo, short scale basses , ppl share your thoughts

what I got in mind is early manowar sounds/tones.

Why do you want paired strings and picolo? Then it's not a bass anymore, it's just a uke lol. Just use light gauge strings for the strings in the proper bass octave and have the paired strings be picolo.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 11-05-2020, 08:35 AM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

This is interesting, and something I know nothing about (other than Stanley Clarke using such a thing).
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        Why do you want paired strings and picolo? Then it's not a bass anymore, it's just a uke lol. Just use light gauge strings for the strings in the proper bass octave and have the paired strings be picolo.
        thnx I didnt mean all of those attributes at the same time. I meant the kind of "treble-ie" basses, like in Manowar. What I think I like most is 8-string, in a configuration as you said, 4 standard bass + 4 guitar-tuned (1 octave up ).

But I think that short scale e.g. 30" and standard bass tuning + one good octave pedal (1 octave up), would do wonders.
        Last edited by greekdude; 11-06-2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I think it's a really bad ass sound. Should sound good whatever you go with. Do you already have a 4 string bass you can set up treble-y? Then you can focus your efforts on the 8 string for the new one?
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            This is interesting, and something I know nothing about (other than Stanley Clarke using such a thing).
            Funny you mention that. "Quiet Afternoon", from the "School Days" album, was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Great song.

Comment

Stanley certainly had a weird bass tone, but it worked for him.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Jolly is the expert here I think...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i'll check out this song. thanx Aceman and Mincer and ArtieToo , hey Clint 55 I dont have no bass, only a 25.5" 7-string guitar

Comment

I generally think of short scale as kinda thuddy with a strong fundamental. I don’t hear what you’re describing, at all.

Comment

I was thinking that also. If you want trebly maybe stay with regular scale. Let us know if you go with 4 string or 8 string.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

8 string sounds really fussy to me. Cool I suppose if you want to devote a lot of time and probably money into a unique instrument. I'd rather have a solid 4-string bass that I could play normally, with an octave doubler pedal, and with a whammy pedal to get you up an octave. More flexibility that way.

Especially if you don't have a bass currently, I'd definitely push you towards getting a regular bass and then doing weird stuff with pedals. A regular bass will serve you forever, while an 8 string bass will fill its niche but won't do a good job as a regular bass. I can see parts of a song benefitting from the octave doubling... but personally I'd want to enable and disable that effect.

Coming from guitar, a regular 34-35" scale bass can seem big, but you'll be surprised how quickly you can adapt. Just play the thing for a couple of days, give yourself time to get used to it and your hands will remember what they're supposed to do.

Mentioned this in another thread, but I have a Squier Bronco bass (30" short-scale) and it totally rocks. Sounds every bit as good as my Fender P bass in a band setting. Build quality isn't as good, but the intonation is great and the tone is solid. Getting made-for-short-scale strings made a lot of difference here (they have different tension ratings than regular bass strings). Easier to get around on coming from guitar. But again, if you're rocking a 7-string guitar now, you're already used to bigger necks, so I'd be confident that you could make the switch to a full scale bass. Something like a Jazz Bass will have a smaller neck than a P Bass.

Piccolo basses are another niche, sort of random instrument. Cool because they're different, but not terribly practical. Again I'd point you towards a regular 4 string bass, and you can put piccolo strings on there at any time.

So if it were me, I'd get a 4 string bass, an octave doubler pedal, and then see if that met my needs.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Funny you mention that. "Quiet Afternoon", from the "School Days" album, was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Great song.
                          My first thought was Tom Peterson in Cheap Trick. I'll have to lookup Manowar to hear their usage.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

My first thought was Tom Peterson in Cheap Trick. I'll have to lookup Manowar to hear their usage.
                            And I'll have to look that up. I know "Cheap Trick", but not familiar with that particular bass sound of theirs.

Comment

Cheap Trick and King’s X are 12 string bass (4 string with 3 octaves each). The best example of an 8 string I can think of is Pearl Jam’s “Jeremy.”
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X