8-string (4 pairs), picolo, short scale basses , ppl share your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Cheap Trick and King’s X are 12 string bass (4 string with 3 octaves each). The best example of an 8 string I can think of is Pearl Jam’s “Jeremy.”
    Peterson used all of them, 4, 8 and 12. He was just more known for the 12.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tompeterssontbird8orange-jpg.1853664.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	6038781

Comment

I think Jeremy was a 12 as well.

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      The best example of an 8 string I can think of is Pearl Jam’s “Jeremy.”
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Back to the Cheap Trick thing I play a Mandocello. Not as deep as a bass but cool. Eight strings in pairs top string is C and it is tuned in 5ths. Tonally it lands between a bass and a guitar.

Comment

I prefer the sound of an 8 string to a 12 string bass. With 12 strings there just seems to be a wash of resonance. It sounds huge but it doesn't have the clarity of an 8 string.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
            I think Jeremy was a 12 as well.
            He's playing a 12 string here.

12 string cover.
            12 String Bass cover version of Pearl Jams "Jeremy"Have fun with it!EquipmentBass - Dean Rhapsody 12 StringPreAmp - Darkglass Alpha Omega UltraRecording Tool...

8 strings sounds cleaner to my ears.
            Bought a Dean Rhapsody 8. Only fair that I learn Jeremy. So I thought I'd post what I consider my best interpretation of the original. I had some timing issu...
            Last edited by idsnowdog; 12-15-2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

howdy beaubrummels ,
              hear what I mean : this is full BASS-only :

Comment

Comment

I've got a Hamer 12 string bass. It's fun to play, but it can be a b!tch to record with so that the bass sits in the mix without being too overbearing. I've also got one of my Spectors setup with piccolo strings. I've used it on recordings by doubling a regular 4 string to give the overall bass sound an 8 string bass sound.

Comment

So I listened to the clip and read as much as I could on Joey DeMaio.

He's using full-scale 8-string in the clip. He's also known to use 4-string picolo/higher pitched strings at full-scale also. His main bass is a Rickenbacker 4001 that had the neck sanded down narrow using light strings, and all hardware/pickups replaced, bridge/nut especially to get the string to string distance narrower. (According to his tech, he's broken the neck 3 times so far.)

Looking around for 8-strings and short scale is a small set of options. I only found a Hagstrom, Warwick and Spector (30"-32"). Warwick looked like the best quality to me, Spector the second maybe (could be wrong - I haven't played them). All were around $1000 USD. The Washburn/whatever custom he's using in the clip is full-scale, though.

For short scale 4-string basses using picolo tuning, there's a few ways to go that have more options than the 8-string idea.
                    1. Short scale bass with lighter strings tuned up. When I bought my short scale bass, I tried Gibson, Squire, Ibanez and Gretsch and I ended up buying the Gretsch. Was very solid, heavy, good solid sound, like a full thumpy Fender Jazz bass. You could get one of those, put lighter guage strings, tune up, and adjust the truss accordingly. For lighter strings, you could take the top strings out of a 6-8 string bass set, or take the low strings off a baritone guitar set.
                    2. Baritone guitar with only 4 strings on it. There's photos of DeMaio actually having done this on some occasions.
                    3. 8 string guitar, just use the low 4
                    4. 8-string bass with only the high strings on it. (However, the string to string distance is much wider than DeMaio plays.)
                    5. Find a used B.C. Rich 10-string and just use the middle 8 strings
                    Also, he splits his signal, so there's a mid-treble portion that is distorted like a guitar and a bass portion of the sound that is totaly clean. John Entwistle of The Who used to do the same trick. So you'd need a bass amp and a guitar amp; or two bass amps EQ'd differently and the brighter one with a crunch pedal in front of it.

Comment

thank you so much for your research!

Comment

If it's four pairs of unison strings and a shorter scale, isn't that just an octave mandolin or mandocello?

Comment

Piccolo bass is kind of fun. I string an Ibanez Mikro like 20-something to 56 once, tuned same octave as a guitar, but it has the characteristics of a bass sound. Very fat sounding.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by bard2dbone View Post
                            If it's four pairs of unison strings and a shorter scale, isn't that just an octave mandolin or mandocello?
                            Mandolin is tuned in 5ths starting with low G
                            Mandocello is tuned in 5ths starting with low C
                            Bass is tuned in 4ths starting with low E
                            so not the same.

Comment

Stanley certainly had a weird bass tone, but it worked for him.
                              He had more than one tone. If you watch a lot of his vids (and I have and still do), he is a constant knob turner.
                              How many Alembic basses does he have, anyway?

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X