Hybrid fretted/fretless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid fretted/fretless

Anybody intrigued by the idea of a 5 string bass, frets on the bottom 3 strings up to the 15th, then fretless on the top 2 strings?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

That's kind of a cool idea.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I like that idea, would be versatile!

Comment

One of my favorite players, Trey Gunn, has an instrument like that. He plays a Warr guitar, which is a tapped Chapman Stick-type instrument. One of his instruments is semi-hollow with weird nylon strings, and half fretless like you describe. I think it is 10 strings, with 5 being fretless.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

who is the metal bassist who has frets up to like the 12th then fretless?

edit: the guy from venom! my brain is slooow

Comment

The bass in question shows up about 4 minutes in.

Unrelatedly, the purple 8 string around 8:30 is my guitar.
            Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 01-24-2021, 09:17 AM.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Seems interesting, although the title of this discussion reminded me of this thing...

Comment

I’ve seen that Ibanez model before, but I like Frank’s layout of having all the “money notes” being fretted. His offset fretless intonation would certainly be better than having to shift back and forth as well.

I’m also aware that I’m comparing a production instrument to a handmade boutique.

Comment

thats the best feature for sure and not something ive seen before

Comment

I’ll report on it soon-ish, and post some more pics.

Has a two-piece walnut neck, and the typical stellar Falbo neck joint. I love that it’s the same basic design as my 8 string, but adapted to work for a 34” instrument.

Comment

Working...
                    X