No announcement yet.

Re-using bass strings without breaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-using bass strings without breaking?

Does anyone have tips for reusing bass strings without breaking them?

I have a set of flats that I adore, they've been on my bass for 3.5 years and went through 40+ gigs... but the bass they're on is calling out for a change.

It'd be heartbreaking to break one of them when stringing them back up in the future. There's a variety of opinions out there but figured I'd poll folks here.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Why are you so intent on saving them?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a pain to take them off most basses. The curly parts that went around the tuning posts are tough to thread back through the bridge holes. I used to boil them with a drop of dishsoap to get the finger funk out of them, and then dry them with a good towel. They don't sound new, but they'll last for awhile.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I’m with you, dude. I’m just super careful pulling them off.

You guys must not understand how nice it is once they lose their zing and get that big, nice, James Jamerson fundamental going on.

Comment

I've heard that there are few brands of flats that have that sound right out of the package. It isn't a sound I personally would go for, but it is worth researching.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
            I’m with you, dude. I’m just super careful pulling them off.

You guys must not understand how nice it is once they lose their zing and get that big, nice, James Jamerson fundamental going on.
            I don't like them once they lose the "zing".

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              I don't like them once they lose the "zing".

A lot of people do, myself included.

Comment

I like zing, which is why I hated those black ones wound with plastic tape. One of my clients prefers the feel of roundwounds, and has me "age" new strings for that genuine Jamerson tone. I rub them with hand lotion a couple times, and then heat them to about 100 degrees in the toaster oven so it will melt and sink in. Instant 60's tone!

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  I like zing, which is why I hated those black ones wound with plastic tape. One of my clients prefers the feel of roundwounds, and has me "age" new strings for that genuine Jamerson tone. I rub them with hand lotion a couple times, and then heat them to about 100 degrees in the toaster oven so it will melt and sink in. Instant 60's tone!
                  Wow. I’m so corrosive I age a set of strings in a day, just playing lol

Comment

Wow. I'm so corrosive I age a set of strings in a day, just playing lol
                    I have 2 clients like that. They both put extra plain strings through the tailpieces of their guitars and tape them to the top. Both guys can keep singing and restring their guitars without trouble. It's pretty fun to watch.

They both replace their bridges every year or so because they just dissolve from the acid.

Comment

My two good basses have top loading bridges/tailpieces that don't require pulling the end of the string through a hole. It's a great feature on a bass, for exactly what you're describing. One of my guitars has a similar bridge, and it's a great feature on there, too.

If you have a regular Fender style bridge, the only thing you can do is be really careful removing and reinstalling the string.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

A lot of people do, myself included.
                        Different tastes.
                        It is hard to restring them when the tuner ends get crimped. As long as you don't overwork them at the bend, they should be ok.
                        Maybe soak them in alcohol to get rid string buildup.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          Different tastes.
                          It is hard to restring them when the tuner ends get crimped. As long as you don't overwork them at the bend, they should be ok.
                          Maybe soak them in alcohol to get rid string buildup.

I once coiled them up in a small jar and filled it with acetone. A couple hours later, ZINGY. I wouldn’t try it on coated strings, though.

Comment

Humans have no idea how much material they shed in any given moment.

Comment

Humans have no idea how much material they shed in any given moment.
                              You got that right.

Comment

Working...
                              X