Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mkhtfld76
    replied
    I put an old set of DRs on my jbass the other day. They arent as old as your flats but i dont see how you will break them if you arent doing something drastic to them. I have sets of old flats laying around and i intend to use them again in the future. Precision Flats. I dont even think i could break them by re-installing them but as I said,they arent as old as yours. James Jamerson broke a favorite string and sent it to the company asking if they could weld it or fix it in some way. Like Mr. Jamerson,if u break one you will just have to start over and beat the miniscule amount of brightness out of another set of new yet dead strings. I hear slathering them in mayonaise speeds up the deadening of the already dead strings. Precision Flats are the only flatwounds I have ever used and I dont understand how anyone can be so horrified by the sound of a fresh set. They are brighter when new but rolling back the tone knob a bit usually makes new flats sound like old flats. I put a set of halfwounds on my jazz bass last week and they werent on the bass 24hrs. Theyre in a box waiting to be installed on a stingray next. I have shoe boxes full of sets of old strings and i hqve never broken one re-installing them. I have broken a tuner installing old flats but never a string.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Originally posted by Adieu View Post
    How the eff do you break a bass string???
    Bending the portion that’s wound around the tuner too many times taking it on and off can break the core.

Leave a comment:

• formula73
    replied
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Humans have no idea how much material they shed in any given moment.
    We’re pretty nasty lol

Leave a comment:

• Adieu
    replied
    How the eff do you break a bass string???

Also, you can solvent wash em to get them back to zingy.... WD40>Kerosene>90% Isopropyl iirc

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Yeah, well...

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied
    You got that right.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

Leave a comment:

• formula73
    replied
    Different tastes.
    It is hard to restring them when the tuner ends get crimped. As long as you don't overwork them at the bend, they should be ok.
    Maybe soak them in alcohol to get rid string buildup.

I once coiled them up in a small jar and filled it with acetone. A couple hours later, ZINGY. I wouldn’t try it on coated strings, though.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Originally posted by formula73 View Post

A lot of people do, myself included.
    Different tastes.
    It is hard to restring them when the tuner ends get crimped. As long as you don't overwork them at the bend, they should be ok.
    Maybe soak them in alcohol to get rid string buildup.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    My two good basses have top loading bridges/tailpieces that don't require pulling the end of the string through a hole. It's a great feature on a bass, for exactly what you're describing. One of my guitars has a similar bridge, and it's a great feature on there, too.

If you have a regular Fender style bridge, the only thing you can do is be really careful removing and reinstalling the string.

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied
    Wow. I'm so corrosive I age a set of strings in a day, just playing lol
    I have 2 clients like that. They both put extra plain strings through the tailpieces of their guitars and tape them to the top. Both guys can keep singing and restring their guitars without trouble. It's pretty fun to watch.

They both replace their bridges every year or so because they just dissolve from the acid.

Leave a comment:

• formula73
    replied
    Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    I like zing, which is why I hated those black ones wound with plastic tape. One of my clients prefers the feel of roundwounds, and has me "age" new strings for that genuine Jamerson tone. I rub them with hand lotion a couple times, and then heat them to about 100 degrees in the toaster oven so it will melt and sink in. Instant 60's tone!
    Wow. I’m so corrosive I age a set of strings in a day, just playing lol

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied
    I like zing, which is why I hated those black ones wound with plastic tape. One of my clients prefers the feel of roundwounds, and has me "age" new strings for that genuine Jamerson tone. I rub them with hand lotion a couple times, and then heat them to about 100 degrees in the toaster oven so it will melt and sink in. Instant 60's tone!

Leave a comment:

• formula73
    replied
    I don't like them once they lose the "zing".

A lot of people do, myself included.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    Originally posted by formula73 View Post
    I’m with you, dude. I’m just super careful pulling them off.

You guys must not understand how nice it is once they lose their zing and get that big, nice, James Jamerson fundamental going on.
    I don't like them once they lose the "zing".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X