Modified Sperzel tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified Sperzel tuners

As most bass players know, a lot of designs have trouble with neck heaviness. My Warwick Corvette balances pretty well, but could be better. Shortly after getting it, I got a deal on a set of Sperzel tuners, which are significantly lighter than the stock tuners. This made a noticeable difference.

Last night, I restrung the Warwick for the first time in awhile, and got to thinking about how locking tuners on a bass are pretty unnecessary. I removed the lock knob and pin, and put a couple wraps on each post like a standard tuner. Removing these added up to about the same as ditching an entire tuning machine, and the balance improved significantly.

Anybody looking for quality lightweight tuning machines, I’d recommend trying this.

“I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

They make both non locking and open gear versions of their guitar tuners. Probably do for bass too, but their website isn’t very helpful.

I use the Hipshot UltraLite tuners. Wilkinson makes a version too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It doesn’t seem to have impacted the function of the tuners. I know it’s silly to have locking tuners that aren’t locked, but I like swapping strings around different basses, and the cores snap if I don’t put a few wraps on.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
      X