Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampeg SVT and matching 8x10 cab.

Comment

I have an Ampeg SCR-DI for AMpeg sounds and a Hartke class D TX300.
      I love the Hartke for all around d sound and playing.

That Tech 21 VT DI is pretty loved by bass players...
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Depends a lot of where you will play. I don't think an SVT with 810 cab would be appropriate in every situations, let alone the hassle to move it. I have a big Peavey rig but most of the time I just get my Eleven Rack in a 2u rack case or my Ampeg SCR-DI in my gig bag and go direct to FOH. I'm using my Eleven Rack for recording so I go directly to computer, no interface/Torpedo. Sometimes I also use my Ampeg SCR-DI too, so yes you can get a preamp and go direct to recording. You don't even need your Torpedo as you can use an IR loader directly in your recording software.

If you want to get a head, the bass market has now mini/micro class D heads, mainly for the weight/size factor. GK is well regarded with their MB series. For a cab, a 210 or a 212 can now go a long way. You can even be surprised by how well a Fearful/Fearless/Barefaced 112 cab can handle. I would suggest asking your question also in talkbass.com.

Comment

It depends on your needs. Mark Bass, Peavey and Trace Elliot make very powerful and light bass heads for reasonable prices. You’re right a SVT rig is the ultimate bass rug but it’s heavy and too loud for some situations. The Phil Jones Suitcase is underwhelming but the Markbass NY 112 is pretty powerful for a small gig or with an acoustic combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Nothing sounds like an SVT, but I don't want to carry it.
            My bass player has an 8x10 and a 4x10 Ampeg cab. The 8x10 SVT cab sounds great but I have told him I will never load it out of our studio for a gig. We are on the second floor no elevator. He is even welcome to my 4x12 Ampeg bass cab. But I am never carrying that cab down the stairs.

Comment

Peavey, Markbass and Trace Elliot all have inexpensive heads that are incredibly lightweight . SVT heads are heavy and too loud for small gigs.

Comment

500 watts is my reference point for small to medium gigs - bars, breweries, ballrooms. I've gigged 250 watt heads and they work, but I'm maxing them out. 500 watts gave me more headroom. Any bigger venues than that should have subwoofers.

However, the preamp --> full range speaker is a great setup too. You can use the full range for anything, and a modeling type of preamp like a Sansamp can get some great tones. Then you have the option of not taking a speaker anywhere.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I know I commented already on the SVT (if I could afford it) but honestly, unless I'm playing in a larger venue, it's overkill. My PF-500 has plenty of power and is lightweight. Bonus is it can run DI without the need for a cabinet if stage space is a premium or it's a super small venue. And honestly, in many applications (and for ease of setup and load in/out), a DI solution works 95% of the time these days. If I was in that situation, I'd snag a Steve Harris signature Fly Rig. http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/steve-harris/

Comment

I would use this in a small to medium room. Or something a bit larger. To be fair, the 2x15 is part of the guitar setup.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been impressed with the tiny Phil Jones heads which have a clear modern sound to them.
                      I want to unload some stuff that I don't use anymore, and put it towards the little PJ Session 77. Looks like a killer "bedroom" amp. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ifiers&index=5

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      I would use this in a small to medium room. Or something a bit larger. To be fair, the 2x15 is part of the guitar setup.
                      A friend just gave me an older TKO115. Works and sounds great, but all the pots need cleaning and conditioning, and one knob is broken off. Peavey did make some nice amps.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I want to unload some stuff that I don't use anymore, and put it towards the little PJ Session 77. Looks like a killer "bedroom" amp. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ifiers&index=5

That's one of the ones I've heard and was quite impressed by.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's one of the ones I've heard and was quite impressed by.
                          Thanks. That's good to know. I've only heard it on YT vids.

Comment

I have a 20- watt Peavey Micro Bass for bedroom playing. My other rig is a Fender 100B with an Ampeg V4 4x12 guitar cab that has been converted using Celestion Pulse bass speakers. I would like to update the head to an Ampeg PowerFlex 500 at some point for more headroom.

Last edited by Securb; 03-01-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Is used ok? If so.

You want the best thing for the cheapest possible?

Old Yorkville stuff from the 90s/00s is incredible for the money. -literally 100 or 150 bucks for a 200B 1x15 combo

Personally, i would do that or buy a used GK 200 or 400RB with a 1x15 or -2x10 or 4x10 cabinet and by a killer Sansamp or Ampeg pedal. -probably do all this for 600.00 and have serious pro gig setup
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X