How many basses do you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have four.

1994 Fender MIM Precision Bass. I refinished it to natural, SD Quarter Pound P, black pickguard and ESP hi-mass black bridge. Strung with DR Nickel Lo-Riders.

2002 ESP LTD C-304. Quilt top. Replaced pickups with EMG 35-P4 and 35-DC soapbars. Replaced gold hardware with black. Strung with Elixirs.

2003 ESP LTD C-304. Bubinga top. Replaced pickups with EMG 35-P4 and 35-CS soapbars. Converted to fretless by Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. Strung up with DR flatwounds.

2007 Martin 00C16-GTAE acoustic bass guitar. Small, thin body makes it really comfortable to play. Sounds great amplified and is surprisingly loud unplugged. Strung with Elixirs ABG strings.

I'm actively looking for number five. Passive PJ, either from Fender or ESP as long as it has a rosewood fretboard and isn't some Easter looking pastel colored thing.
    Last edited by Dudeman7; 06-28-2021, 11:54 PM.

Comment

You no want Easter pastel colors?!
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
        I have four.

1994 Fender MIM Precision Bass. I refinished it to natural, SD Quarter Pound P, black pickguard and ESP hi-mass black bridge. Strung with DR Nickel Lo-Riders.

2002 ESP LTD C-304. Quilt top. Replaced pickups with EMG 35-P4 and 35-DC soapbars. Replaced gold hardware with black. Strung with Elixirs.

2003 ESP LTD C-304. Bubinga top. Replaced pickups with EMG 35-P4 a35-P4-CS soapbars. Converted to fretless by Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. Strung up with DR flatwounds.

2007 Martin 00C16-GTAE acoustic bass guitar. Small, thin body makes it really comfortable to play. Sounds great amplified and is surprisingly loud unplugged. Strung with Elixirs ABG strings.

I'm actively looking for number five. Passive PJ, either from Fender or ESP as long as it has a rosewood fretboard and isn't some Easter looking pastel colored thing.
        How did you choose those EMGs? I’m intrigued by an active bass and the EMG form factor has a lot of options.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          You no want Easter pastel colors?!
          I know they're popular on Fenders right now but totally not for me. At our local GC, there are a number of good guitars and basses that I would buy if they weren't shell pink or seafoam green.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

How did you choose those EMGs? I’m intrigued by an active bass and the EMG form factor has a lot of options.
            Both of the ESPs had passive EMGs stock. The pickup routes didn't have to change and the basses already had active 9 volt EQs installed too. Since I was looking for more output and punchy, hi-fi tones for slap and aggressive finger style, the active EMGs were the easiest way to get what I was looking for.

At the time, probably 15 years ago now, EMGs were pretty popular with bass players. That was right before the boutique pickup market really took off where I live. The EMGs were available to me locally and were reasonably priced.

I have zero regrets going with them either. With the on board EQ, this has to be the most flexible pair of basses I've ever heard. They always sound great and they send a solid enough signal to my pedal board to not lose the bass' character, even when playing with stacked effects.

Comment

Both of the ESPs had passive EMGs stock. The pickup routes didn't have to change and the basses already had active 9 volt EQs installed too. Since I was looking for more output and punchy, hi-fi tones for slap and aggressive finger style, the active EMGs were the easiest way to get what I was looking for.

At the time, probably 15 years ago now, EMGs were pretty popular with bass players. That was right before the boutique pickup market really took off where I live. The EMGs were available to me locally and were reasonably priced.

I have zero regrets going with them either. With the on board EQ, this has to be the most flexible pair of basses I've ever heard. They always sound great and they send a solid enough signal to my pedal board to not lose the bass' character, even when playing with stacked effects.
              Thank you. I was actually wondering how you chose those specific EMGs when they have P, J, J-CS, DC, CS, etc. all available.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thank you. I was actually wondering how you chose those specific EMGs when they have P, J, J-CS, DC, CS, etc. all available.
                Oh, sorry!

I wanted the P in the neck spot so I could get a more traditional, old school tone by dialing out the bridge pickup and rolling the treble down a little. Its really warm and gets the Pink Floyd "Money" bass tone perfectly.

The 35-DC I chose for the bridge because it was the most aggressive, grinding bridge pickup they had. That one is great soloed for finger style funk and upper register stuff.

Combined, the two pair really well and give me a balance of full low end, midrange detail and that sparkly top end that makes popped notes jump out of the speakers.

Pretty much the same applies for the fretless except I choose the 35-CS because it's a little warmer and darker than the aggressive DC. It still has loads of clarity and it brings out the "mwah" from the fretless but it isn't as "in your face" as the DC.

Both basses have pickup blend controls so balancing them out is super fast and easy, depending on the situation.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Oh, sorry!

I wanted the P in the neck spot so I could get a more traditional, old school tone by dialing out the bridge pickup and rolling the treble down a little. Its really warm and gets the Pink Floyd "Money" bass tone perfectly.

The 35-DC I chose for the bridge because it was the most aggressive, grinding bridge pickup they had. That one is great soloed for finger style funk and upper register stuff.

Combined, the two pair really well and give me a balance of full low end, midrange detail and that sparkly top end that makes popped notes jump out of the speakers.

Pretty much the same applies for the fretless except I choose the 35-CS because it's a little warmer and darker than the aggressive DC. It still has loads of clarity and it brings out the "mwah" from the fretless but it isn't as "in your face" as the DC.

Both basses have pickup blend controls so balancing them out is super fast and easy, depending on the situation.

Hope this helps!
                  Excellent, thanks! Is the DC close to EMGs version of a Stingray pickup?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Excellent, thanks! Is the DC close to EMGs version of a Stingray pickup?
                    It is probably pretty close. It's a modern sounding pickup with a lot of output, clarity and edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      1 delux P bass. Affinity body, Warmoth neck, Steve Harris pickup wired straight to the jack. I love the ultra detailed sound of the P bass direct to the jack. I love the Steve Harris pickup too and would recommend it to anyone. It's the best classic modern pickup I've ever played.

Click image for larger version Name:	Steve Harris P bass.jpg Views:	4 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	6058856
                      Nice. That sounds really good. I want a P bass and the plan is to slap the Steve Harris pickup in it. I love his bass tone.

What you're playing would sound killer with a Jazz bass and both pickups on.

Comment

Thx! Yes, definitely get the Steve Harris. It's one of the best pickups I've played because it seamlessly blends the classic P bass voicing with the strengthened Steve voicing.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Just these two dirty birds: History (Fujigen) ZJS-CFS converted to passive W/QPs (hardware is bulletproof) and an Ibanez TMB-30 with just about everything changed out (all hardware, pots, jack, QP/Tbird pup) and an enormous chunk of clear ripped off, set up for C tuning. I really wanted a short scale to mess around with and fell in love with it. Super thuddy.

I don’t even play guitar, anymore. Bass is more satisfying and more in demand.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F1152419-230C-4CF4-9EE7-8032DC80DA0B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	6061132
                          Last edited by formula73; 02-28-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I'm not usually that into Jazz Basses but that one looks SWEET!

Comment

I'm not usually that into Jazz Basses but that one looks SWEET!
                              It’s much prettier than the chud that plays it lol

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                                A long time ago, I had a really cheap Hondo bass. The neck did double duty as a tremolo arm. What a piece 'o crap. Can't remember whatever happened to it. Put me off bass for 30 years.
                                Shoulda bought a Hondo bass with an actual tremolo arm (which was actually a thing back in the 80s)
                                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                                X