No announcement yet.

Does anyone ever use tremolo on a bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone ever use tremolo on a bass?

To be clear, I'm talking about amplitude modulation, like the knob you'd see on an amp. Not the mis-labeled vibrato arm on a Strat.

I don't think I've ever seen "tremolo" on a bass amp, or ever heard a song that had it. I wonder how it might sound? Anyone ever done it?
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-09-2021, 09:34 PM.

Chis Squire used one on Yes' "Starship Trooper", though I don't know if he did it with an amp or pedal or what.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nice. I'll have to listen to that again in the morning when I can crank it a little louder. He's using a fairly fast modulation there. Now I gotta play with that.

Comment

Billy Sheehan....and he used a Kahler...a real trem...
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Son of a Beachfront Radio...I'm guilty of not reading the firrst post...
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
            Son of a Beachfront Radio...I'm guilty of not reading the firrst post...
            No. All comments are welcome. We can discuss both. And both, are unusual for bass.

Comment

Smiths - How Soon is Now...or maybe that was just guitar, but somebody had a cover with bass tremolo? I forget
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Too bad there is no way to find out.
                I see what you did there. Ok. I'll plug my bass into my guitar amp, and dial up up some tremolo. I'll report back.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                  Billy Sheehan....and he used a Kahler...a real trem...
                  I was going to mention Les Claypool uses a Kahler.

According to Billy they no longer make them for bass. A shame.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Nice. I'll have to listen to that again in the morning when I can crank it a little louder. He's using a fairly fast modulation there. Now I gotta play with that.
                    I've heard some live versions that didn't have as fast modulation, too.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a Boss TR-2 I low using with my fretless Warwick. I probably wouldn’t bring it if I was actually playing bass with someone, though.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Justin Chancellor of Tool uses one. The intro to Right in Two (you might confuse it for guitar, he’s also using his bass whammy) and also Lost Keys (feedback, again can be confused for guitar) have tremolo.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Chis Squire used one on Yes' "Starship Trooper", though I don't know if he did it with an amp or pedal or what.

Damn, beat me to it -best bass part ever at the end (the whole song has tremelo)

skip to 5:38 if you want to hear Chris Squire come in with Bass Tremelo with overdrive in front of it (he's panned right)..... trust me, wait for it.
                          Last edited by NegativeEase; 03-10-2021, 12:31 PM.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I used to use a tremolo patch on a Zoom multi effect processor like 20 years ago.

The originals band I was in gave me a lot of freedom to play with effects since we were a trio and there was a lot of sonic space to fill. One song in particular used the tremolo heavily as the basis of the main bassline. Other times, I would kick it on along with other effects for weird rhythmic breaks in songs. (We did a lot of freak out, stoner type improvisation.)

Funny enough, I have been thinking about bringing tremolo back into my effects chain and I just finished building a tremolo pedal 30 minutes ago.

Got on here to see if anyone else used tremolo with bass and BAM! there's this thread right at the top.

I'm buying a lottery ticket tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
                              Got on here to see if anyone else used tremolo with bass and BAM! there's this thread right at the top.
                              Yup. We cover a lot of bases here. (Rimshot!)

Comment

Working...
                              X