Effects for "featuring" bass guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects for "featuring" bass guitar?

If you're a guitarist that plays bass as well, or you play with a bassist that has some improvisation chops, you have probably wanted to highlight the bass playing at some point. Trade solos, put the bassist in the spotlight for a minute, things like that. What kinds of signal chain manipulation lends itself well to featuring the bassist? I'm thinking nothing too wild, but something that will get the bass a little more punch, brightness, and cut through a mix.

My go-to is to have the bass guitar volume and tone down at 8 or so as a default, and then punch both up to 10 (or 11) for the solo. This adds a bit of extra volume and high end which translates to a little more cut over the guitars, drums, etc.

Any other ideas or successful methods for doing this?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Light distortion, like a bit of Boss DS-1
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

the bass player in one of my bands has a decent sized pedal board, he steps on an eq pedal when he wants to stand out. he has a fancy programable one but any should do a similar trick

Comment

A wah helps, too.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If I want a lead tone on my Warwick, I solo the bridge pickup. Just like on a guitar, it cuts a lot of low end and is more mid focused.

I’m a really big fan of the EHX Bassballs, too. It’s like a fuzz and envelope filter in one, and it’s brain dead simple to use. Play pretty much anything and it sounds awesome.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I never used anything but a phase shifter for funk and a flanger for rock.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              I never used anything but a phase shifter for funk and a flanger for rock.
              Never even tried a reefer? lol XD

(just kidding)
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Nope. Dope is for dopes. I'm a razor's edge kinda guy.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  Nope. Dope is for dopes. I'm a razor's edge kinda guy.
                  allright. All respect to peoples own choices here in life...

But I dig that song by Muddy Waters- "Give me champagne when I'm thirsty; bring me a reefer when I want to get high".

Sorry for OT...

Back to topic:

Best effects I ever had for bass guitar, was the EHX Bass Big Muff. It had a blend control, a "dry trough" separate jack- and gave the fattest bass fuzz tones I've ever heard . Too bad I lost it- as I lost everything; :/
                  If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

not too many 15 bar blues out there

Comment

Great. Thanks for the tips!
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

If the bass has active pickups and the transition isn't too fast, you can just set the amp up with the volume on the bass at half, then just roll it up to full for the part that you want to stand out.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Whenever I hear a good bass player kick on an envelope filter it makes me sit up and pay attention.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                            Whenever I hear a good bass player kick on an envelope filter it makes me sit up and pay attention.
                            What is it about the envelope filter that catches your attention? I too like the sound, just wondering what the je-ne-sais-quoi is for you (if you can describe it).

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            If the bass has active pickups and the transition isn't too fast, you can just set the amp up with the volume on the bass at half, then just roll it up to full for the part that you want to stand out.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                            Does it have to be actives? Couldn't the level trick be done with passives too?

Comment

yes, but passives usually have a tonal change as well where actives tend to be more consistent through the sweep

Comment

Working...
                              X