Think my next build is going to be a bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think my next build is going to be a bass

I am thinking of a P bass maybe with a J- P pickup configuration. I am thinking Sid white with a black pickguard.

The first question is the J bass pickup that can give me a very aggressive tone? I am talking Lemmy level.

The second question is, is there any pickup I can put in a Fender that will give a Rick tone?

For both questions - do they have to 'look' like Fender pickups? Or would you be willing to put in any pickup that makes the sound?

You know about these, right?
    The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.
    Last edited by beaubrummels; 04-21-2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

As far as the J Bass pickup, look at the Quarter Pounds. And I've never heard a Fender-type that sounds like a Rick at all.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have the QPs in my Jazz V. Definitely more aggressive than stock but I don’t think they are Rick territory.

For PJ, I’d want him cancelling full up. For the Jazz bridge I personally would look at the Jazz Hot Stack Apollo, DMZ Model J, Ultra Jazz or EMG.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          For both questions - do they have to 'look' like Fender pickups? Or would you be willing to put in any pickup that makes the sound?

You know about these, right?
          http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/...ter-signature/
          I could go with something like this in a heartbeat. I would do a little routing and buy a new pick guard. But will the poles line up with a Fender. I guess I have some research to do

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I could go with something like this in a heartbeat. I would do a little routing and buy a new pick guard. But will the poles line up with a Fender. I guess I have some research to do
            You could buy an unrouted body and go to town!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

make sure the bridge spacing the about the same as a rick but those pups look badass. i dont know if you can get a fender to sound just like a rick but a swamp ash body, ebony board maple neck, and badass bridge would be a good start

Comment

I've gigged 3 Ps in probably twenty venues and never had an issue with noise. So I'd go with a classic P pickup and then add your gnarliness with the bridge pickup. If a musicman pickup will fit, that could be neat. Otherwise a hot rodded J pickup (noiseless or not) and a classic P would be my starting point for a brainstorm.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

ive put qp p bass pups and alnico mm pups in the basses ive build over the years. i reverse the p stagger and put a series/split/parallel in for the mm pup. so many great tones at your finger tips with no fuss. dont know if they sounded like a rick though

Comment

I bet MJ could get a Rick tone out of a P pickup, or about as close as anyone really could.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The right J pickup should be able to get as aggressive as you want. I really dig the DiMarzio Model J set in my Warwick. The bridge is pretty nasty.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                        The right J pickup should be able to get as aggressive as you want. I really dig the DiMarzio Model J set in my Warwick. The bridge is pretty nasty.
                        And maybe that is what I really need. Not so much Rick but aggressive ala Lemmy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

And maybe that is what I really need. Not so much Rick but aggressive ala Lemmy.
                          I think any J bridge with an OD will get you into that range.

A solo’d J pickup kind of has a lot of guitar characteristics. My Warwick sounds really big and clear until the balance knob is within the last 25% toward the bridge.

Picking really hard is a BIG part of that, too. On bass, I’ve found all the dynamic stuff makes a bigger difference.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

a bridge j pup can be great, growls so nice when the strings are played aggressively. though so can a mm pup

Comment

Are you set on the look of p-j pickups?

EMG makes soapbars that are voiced as jazz pups and im sure they ofrer a pbass voiced model as well. Easily able to go from traditional soundimg to aggressive with some tweaking odf the preamp and if you decide later you really want to notch it up you can pop em out and put some DCs in. Just a thought.

I havent tried these myself but have heard great things
                              I have emg bqc preamp and dc/cs pups in my spector and I havent heard any bass that has more aggressive tone. Period. It sounds like a Trex raping a silverback gorilla.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X