banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J-bass pickup that sounds like a P bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-bass pickup that sounds like a P bass?

So, I have a Squier 70's Classic Vibe Jazz Bass. It plays awesome, and the stock 'duncan designed' pickups work great when I want a bright and forward bass sound. But I often find myself struggling to get a deeper, lower 'thunk thunk' tone out of it. Is there a J-bass neck pickup that can make J-bass sound more like a P-bass? I guess hum cancelling would be a benefit, as I'd probably be soloing the neck fairly often.
    Attached Files
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Why not just change the pickguard to fit an actual P Bass pickup?
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post
      Why not just change the pickguard to fit an actual P Bass pickup?
      I was hoping to get away without routing the body.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I suggest a better set of pickups to give your sound some beef. Or get an active EQ rig to add some lower frequencies on the fly.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

It’s not P-Bass, but have you checked out the Model J?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            It’s not P-Bass, but have you checked out the Model J?
            Yeah, I've read that Dimarzio's Model J might get in the ballpark of what I'm looking for. I guess I'll have to spend more time checking that out.

Comment

a friend of mine has a '77 j bass and the neck pup was dead, he has other jazz basses so wanted something with more meat to it. i wound him something with about 20% more turns and its definitely thick and has more thump, he loves it. i dont know if you can get exactly a pb tone with a jb pup, but you can get some of those qualities

Comment

I have not heard a pickup that does that, but maybe a Quarter Pound is a slight jump in that direction. Or, talk to MJ and see if she can build something...I bet she can.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

By the way, after 20+ years of playing bass, I’ve realized that no matter what I’ve done to my Jazz Bass, it sounds like a Jazz Bass. And that the 4 main tones I like, in order, are:
                  1. Traditional P Bass
                  2. Active PJ, a la Spector, etc.
                  3. Jazz Bass (with both pickups up full)
                  4. Musicman

I know you don’t want to route, but by doing that and adding a new pickguard you can got back and forth.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I have not heard a pickup that does that, but maybe a Quarter Pound is a slight jump in that direction. Or, talk to MJ and see if she can build something...I bet she can.
                    the qp magnets do their own thing to the sound, i think youd get closer to a traditional pbass tone with the normal size rods actually

Comment

Have you checked the routing under the guard? Might be room for a P pickup.

If not, try some boosting or EQ pedal to shape the frequencies.

Some will say a Jazz will never sound like a Precision. Others will say it's pretty close. When I was gigging in a loud band I loved the P way more than the Jazz. Now that I'm doing more medium volume stuff, I don't hear much difference between the P and the Jazz with the neck soloed.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Yes, I've checked under the guard. Routing is just for a J bass single.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          So, I have a Squier 70's Classic Vibe Jazz Bass. It plays awesome, and the stock 'duncan designed' pickups work great when I want a bright and forward bass sound. But I often find myself struggling to get a deeper, lower 'thunk thunk' tone out of it. Is there a J-bass neck pickup that can make J-bass sound more like a P-bass? I guess hum cancelling would be a benefit, as I'd probably be soloing the neck fairly often.
                          I think the Dimarzio Model J's are p-bass pickups in a jazz shell, aren't they?
                          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I think the Dimarzio Model J's are p-bass pickups in a jazz shell, aren't they?
                            NO.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

There's MIM Jazz Basses that come with dual spilt coil pickups, and some with large HB's. They don't cost that much.

Comment

Working...
                              X