banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J-bass pickup that sounds like a P bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it's like a DiMarzio Model J?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      So it's like a DiMarzio Model J?
      Is it?
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Yes, two coils wound in opposite directions results in a humbucking pickup within a single coil aperture.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Well, it took me a good long while . . . but I've found a solution to my problem.

Seymour Duncan Apollo pickups:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	483e7825-c587-4b13-bf49-1590b6704770.jpg?v=1648661919&width=1445.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	6207802

These do exactly what I was looking for . . . similar to the original pickups I had but they add a little bit more beef without getting boomy and a bit more output. With both pickups full up it gets the same kinda mid-scoopy sound that I've always liked from this bass. But now there's a whole hum-free palette of sounds. Before I could never use the bridge pickup on solo'd - way too bright. With the Apollo pickups it's growly but still with some decent low end. Neck solo'd is dark, but with definition and gets P-bassish enough for me. String to string balance seems better too . . . I felt like no matter what I did with the pickup mounting screws the high E on the neck and the low E on the bridge were both sometimes jumping out a little too much with the Duncan Designed stuff.

The bridge is great for slapping, and all positions sound better while playing with a pick now. And it's really nice to be able to mess with either volume without incurring the dreaded wrath of the hum - these are dead silent pickups.

Not exactly a huge departure from what was there, but this fixes all the problems I was running into. They're pretty nice pickups.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I am in the rout it for a P-bass pickup camp. It will take 5 minutes to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              I am in the rout it for a P-bass pickup camp. It will take 5 minutes to get it done.
              I like the new pickups I got. They may not give exactly the P bass sound, but they do what I was hoping for.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I was thinking of getting a set of Apollos for my Squier Jazz. Nice to hear that they were perfect for you!
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I put a Model J in my lawsuit Ibanez in the 70s and it's been there ever since.
                  Not really that much like a Pbass but rich fat tone, punchy and noiseless.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    I put a Model J in my lawsuit Ibanez in the 70s and it's been there ever since.
                    Not really that much like a Pbass but rich fat tone, punchy and noiseless.

Yeah, I was interested in the model J as well but found a good deal on the apollos. I think they're both using sort of the same tech right, side by side humbuckers?

Comment

This is very interesting and informative.

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                        This is very interesting and informative.
                        I like the J sound 1 back from the usual neck spot best. :P

Comment

Working...
                        X