banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J-bass pickup that sounds like a P bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

NO.
    The neck pickup solo’d sounds awfully P-ish.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I say put in a 3rd pickup right at the heel of the neck lol.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I dunno if OP has done anything but another route could be to put it through a preamp pedal. I get the ease and appeal of wanting more of a P sound, but a preamp pedal may provide the tone shaping necessary to get what OP wants without changing pickups. Any bass Sansamp pedal with a Character knob has tons of voicings available any there.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

an eq pedal would get you pretty dang close

Comment

I swapped the vintage noiselss oit of my fender jazz with a set of golden ahe pickups from stewmac...made all the difference in the world! The two pickups together still have thatj thing, but the soloespd neck really does hav3 that little more thunp...kind of a fat wooly thing going on. Roll tg3 treble back a bit...even better...put some of th3 rubber pickup mount stuff under the strings at the bridge. Old school thumpin. Im a happy camper
            “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              Yes, I've checked under the guard. Routing is just for a J bass single.
              You are not removing a ton of wood I do not think it is going to adversely affect the bass.

Comment

Templates and bits are actually a cool thing to have for a non builder. You could get some router bits and a template and make it nice and clean.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

One of my Sandberg Jazz types has Häussel pick ups that I would say are slightly overwound, and they get close enough for me for live work.

Comment

My J basses get 80% of the way to my P Bass with the neck solo’d. Although there’s still that last 20% in a mix it can be hard to tell them apart.

IMO, you got to listen to the bass itself. If it’s naturally deep and thumpy it doesn’t matter what pickups you put into it it’ll sound deep and thumpy. Passive pickups are a filter, they can’t add what the bass lacks naturally.

You can also mess around with the EQ a bit by changing strings (I’ve found GHS Boomers will fatten up a bass).
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

QP is a little more scooped, Hot Jazz is a little more mid focused. Both are darker than a standard jazz but nothing will sound as good as routing it for a P. Rolling off the tone may help a bit as well.

Full disclosure, I had my Toby IV routed for a P because nothing else got me where I wanted.

Comment

Being a Squier, it might be cheaper to swap basses than route for a new pickup.
                        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

IMO the thunk of a P Bass pickup is really only appreciated in a live setting where it fits so, so nicely in the mix and tickles the subwoofers in a beautiful way. I wouldn't chase this particular tone for home or recording, but as mentioned there are a variety of ways to get a fatter, grindier, middier sound out of a Jazz Bass. And the Jazz Bass does it's own beautiful thing with both volumes up all the way, or with one volume at full and the other at 8/9. I wouldn't want to mod a Jazz Bass to sound like a P, either.

One of the great things about the bass guitar is that there are so few food groups of tone. You can literally do just about everything you need to do, tone-wise, on 1 or 2 bass guitars.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Yeah, like others have said, this situation is similar to people asking "How do I make my Strat sound like a Les Paul?" It just isn't going to happen. I see Squier Jaguar PJ Basses going really cheap on Ebay all the time, often older ones with Duncan Designed PJ pickups.

Comment

Quarter Pounders are probably your best option
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Found it.
                                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X