On a Bass Gear-Maintenance Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a Bass Gear-Maintenance Adventure

So, all of my basses are now home with me. Time for some project work and TLC

1. Dean Edge Crusher 5 string in Natural - All good. Could probably put new strings on. Don't play it that much, so no big deal. It's fine. Got a 5 if I want / need. 5 String Jazz gig? Good to go.

2. Ms. Jackson - My Silver Jackson JS2 Concert Bass. Tweaked the truss, Adjusted the bridge, Got some Rotosound 45-105 Stainless for it. Gonna punch like Mike Tyson!!! Probably my overall best bass. Pop to Rock to Metal

3. Dean Metal Master Z - A cheap black explorer style with one big brick of a pickup. I took the neon pink duct tape stripes off, am cleaning the gunk off, and am going to paint the pink stripes on permanently, and got some DR Neon Pink strings! 80's baby! 45-105. Hard Rock and Metal

4. Finally, my Black Squire P Bass Special. I play this a lot. Love it. Could also use strings. But first...some DiMarzio Model P+J pickups. My first Bass pickups project....Blues, Jazz, Pop, Rock, or Metal.

First after market pickups for Bass
    First string purchases
    First serious setups
    First paint job

Good times!!!!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I have to put some time into my Jazz Bass. I think I am going to go for an Apollo set.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got out my Sterling SUB Ray4 the other day for the first time in a while. Strings are still in good shape and the setup is how I like it. I use Ernie Ball strings on it. Can't remember the gauge. It has a Duncan SMB-4A pickup in it. The stock one is not bad but I wanted something less harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I have to put some time into my Jazz Bass. I think I am going to go for an Apollo set.
        I know nothing about Bass strings or pickups. DMZ Model seemed to be a no-miss option and cheap enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          I got out my Sterling SUB Ray4 the other day for the first time in a while. Strings are still in good shape and the setup is how I like it. I use Ernie Ball strings on it. Can't remember the gauge. It has a Duncan SMB-4A pickup in it. The stock one is not bad but I wanted something less harsh.
          I always loved these basses. A lot of bass for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I know nothing about Bass strings or pickups. DMZ Model seemed to be a no-miss option and cheap enough.
            Jazz bass pickups can hum, since they are single coils. I need ones that don't. Apollos are side-by-side humbuckers.

Comment

im a big fan of that smb4a pup! used it a on a few basses i built

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Jazz bass pickups can hum, since they are single coils. I need ones that don't. Apollos are side-by-side humbuckers.
                You say that like I ever only use the J pickup without the P....LOL

Comment

You say that like I ever only use the J pickup without the P....LOL
                  Even with the P, it will hum. The P pickup is a humbucker, the J isn't.

Comment

I threw some Aero pickups into my MIM fretless Jazz not too long ago. Waiting on a Gotoh hi-mass bridge so I can slap on a new set of DR Sunbeams.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Welcome Back Benjy!

I was pondering a new bridge....but Squire.

Comment

Welcome Back Benjy!

I was pondering a new bridge....but Squire.
                        Thanks!

Squiers can take the gotoh style hi mass units, and those can be had for under 40 bones on fleabay. Not a horrible investment, IMHO.

Comment

For instance, here's a Fender hi mass unit:

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

Thanks!

Squiers can take the gotoh style hi mass units, and those can be had for under 40 bones on fleabay. Not a horrible investment, IMHO.
                            oh really.....

Well, who am I to not put $200 (pups & bridge) into a $200 Bass!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks for the tip. Wouldn't have even looked!!!

Comment

oh really.....

Well, who am I to not put $200 (pups & bridge) into a $200 Bass!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks for the tip. Wouldn't have even looked!!!
                              Lol No prob! I got my MIM for free and had custom pickups made. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X