• Show
Clear All

• NBD (to me) - Ibby pawnshop special

Click image for larger version

Name:	IbanezBass.png
Views:	236
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	6114434
    I'm back in the 5-string game, after having to part with a custom fretless '74 Precision a few years ago.

Meet Gio, an Ibanez GSR 205SM.
    (screen grab; my phone's jpeg file was too big)

This guy punches way above his weight class, especially considering the price. On the Sweetwater website right now, it sells for $300.
    My bassist friend got it from the local pawnbroker for 2 Benjamins.
    I shamed him into selling it to me, seeing as he already has 3 fivers and a "beatle bass" clone to choose from.

34" scale length, 12" radius with 16.5mm string spacing. Poplar body, spalted maple top, maple neck, jatoba (AKA "Brazilian cherry") fretboard.
    Made by Cor-Tek (Cort) in Indonesia for Ibanez, according to the info I got online.

It feels like I'm driving a Mazda Miata. Not heavy at all, but solid; just a little close between the strings.

It's good for slap or fingerstyle, and I can roll off the treble and get a really thick tone.
    There's an active bass boost, which I have yet to really activate. Can't really turn up any major blast in an apartment.
    I'll cut a demo track in the next week or so, and see what I can make of him.
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

I love 5 strings, and that one looks great! Interesting woods, too- I like that!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ibanez basses are excellent instruments as a rule, even the Gio stuff.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm back with the demo track in question. Sort of a Philly soul ballad. Me on guitar, bass, and MIDI programmed everything else.

sigpic
          "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
          Originally posted by Lewguitar
          In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Not sure how I missed the original post, but sounding as good as he looks!
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

That looks seriously amazing! I'd love a 4-string version of that if I would ever get a bass again.
              I once had a decent enough Yamaha but I loaned it out one time and the guy begged me into selling it.

Comment

Awesome, this is the 5 string version of what I just bought, GSR200SMNGT
                Last edited by solspirit; 01-06-2022, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Cort makes killer basses. A buddy of mine had a plastic Cort bass with a phenolic fingerboard way back in the day. It had Bartolini electronics, IIRC. It smelled weird and sounded wonderful.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

There is much pawn shop win in Ibanez bass territory
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                    X