What's a good overdrive for a J-bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good overdrive for a J-bass?

My amp is pretty clean sounding unless cranked, and I think I want a slightly overdriven bass sound for some songs. What's a good OD for bass? I've tried my Boss BD-2, and don't like it . . . cuts lows. The fuzz face that I have can be tweaked to sound OK, but I think it kills a little too much low end. Big muff doesn't kill bass, but seems ludicrously oversaturated for what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

look for something with a clean blend, thats what ive always found works best for me with bass. one of my bass amps, svt5pro, has an overdrive channel that sounds awesome when blended with the clean. even more awesome if you add the octave down! though thats not very useful in many situations.

Comment

You know how you like the classic sounds you’ve heard before? Like a TS-9 into a Fender amp? The three drive boxes that sound like tones I’ve heard are the SansAmp, Boss ODB-3 and Russian Big Muff.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

In my limited semi-pro bassist experience, Tech 21 gear rocks. Makes sound guys happy, other musicians seemed impressed with my choice of gear, recordings sounded good, and the tone was more juicy and delicious than it was without the Tech 21 in the chain. My Sansamp has some drive functions which sounded pretty darn good to me. Not a connoisseur of bass gear (my rig is P Bass into Sansamp into anything), but I can't say enough good things about my experience with Tech 21 and I wouldn't hesitate to investigate their line of products more.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I like the EHX Crayon for bass. It's not super-saturated at low settings, can act as a boost, and doesn't chop the low end off.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Tech 21 Bass Driver DI - It’s an amp sim + DI, but it can be used like a distortion pedal. Not pretty to listen to on its own, but it sits the mix really well and pokes through in all the right places.

Ampeg Scrambler (the stand alone effect) - Has a broad range of dirt, sounds like an extension of an SVT, and keeps the bass sounding like a bass. Sounds best with the tone low, around 9:00 to 10:00.

MXR Bass Fuzz - Relatively subtle fuzz, great if you’re not looking for over the top.

MXR Bass Distortion - Basically a Rat with a clean blend. Great if you are looking for more than the Bass Fuzz, but not so much as a Big Muff.

|| Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I have played with two bass players that used the MXR both sounded fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                I have played with two bass players that used the MXR both sounded fantastic.

That was my 2nd choice vs the Amp SCR-DI

But - Might I suggest a simple Boss Bass OD with the tone tweeted towards treble a touch?
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

When I think of sexy, dirty bass sounds, I think of Ampeg. So I would vote for the Ampeg pedal, or anything which aims for that kind of sound. The MXR Andy Tech21 offerings always appealed to me too.

Comment

+1 on the Tech21 Bass Driver. I've used the programmable version since it first came out.
                    Perfect OD texture for bass - sits really well in a mix, as has been said.
                    It has clean blend and 3-band EQ - Bass, Treble, & Presence.
                    You can store three presets.
                    Runs on battery, wallwart, or phantom power.
                    All analog and robust enough to survive years of gigging.

PS: If you just want an on/off bass drive, a nonprogrammable version has a Mids knob with switchable frequencies.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I read this is "Whats a good Overdrive for Jesus"

So I'd say anything Strymon or Chase Bliss..... Thats all he plays I'm told.

But now that I understand the question

Go with the bass DI GOAT

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Or channel switching:
                        ​​​​​​
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          I read this is "Whats a good Overdrive for Jesus"
                          In terms of bass OD, Jesus probably plays something listed in this thread. Actually, Jesus probably uses a wall of Ampegs just cranked up.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post

In terms of bass OD, Jesus probably plays something listed in this thread. Actually, Jesus probably uses a wall of Ampegs just cranked up.
                            Definitely agree, but when misread the way I misread, it's no longer referencing Bass Guitar -so I went with guitar ODs.

Comment

The Tech 21 certainly seems cool, but I balk at the price. It's almost the same price my bass was. I'm intrigued by the EHX crayon though . . .
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X