No announcement yet.

What's a good overdrive for a J-bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have great experiences with the EH Bass Big Muff!

It's a classic fuzz tone, voiced for bass; (works wonders in high volume situations), with a Blend knob,
    and two outputs, dry and wet.

If you like a fuzz type distortion, it is the best I have tried for bass.

-E
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I have also split the signal, sending half to a guitar amp, like a Marshall (after a high pass filter EQ) and half to a traditional bass amp like an Ampeg. Massive sound, but an awful lot of gear.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If I could, I'd play a 2x18" closed cab (refrigderator size), with a cranked tube bass amp on top

and enjoy the natural overdrive

...but that isn't possible in my current life :/.

The EHX pedal is really cool though;
        ...I remember I could wish for a rawer kind of fuzz though. It has that "muff" kinda sound.
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I have also split the signal, sending half to a guitar amp, like a Marshall (after a high pass filter EQ) and half to a traditional bass amp like an Ampeg. Massive sound, but an awful lot of gear.
          Surprised you didn't mention it,

I'm sure BYOC has good one for cheap.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Anyone use a nobles odr-1 in this application?
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              My amp is pretty clean sounding unless cranked, and I think I want a slightly overdriven bass sound for some songs. What's a good OD for bass? I've tried my Boss BD-2, and don't like it . . . cuts lows. The fuzz face that I have can be tweaked to sound OK, but I think it kills a little too much low end. Big muff doesn't kill bass, but seems ludicrously oversaturated for what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
              Russian Muff is my favorite for bass, the low end doesn't disappear. As you mentioned, they are pretty saturated. I use my Tech21 VT Deluxe for pushed SVT type sounds, the regular VT bass pedal is awesome if you can find one in your price range. For a cheap option, look into an OCD style pedal like the EH Glove. A couple of youtube videos show good results with those. My bass player used an EH Soul Food but there's now a bass specific version that sounds great in videos.

Comment

Has anyone used the EHX Bass Battalion? It seems to have a lot of features.
                Flexible bass preamp and DI delivers powerful tone shaping capabilities in a rugged pedalboard-friendly package!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                  Has anyone used the EHX Bass Battalion? It seems to have a lot of features.
                  https://www.ehx.com/products/battalion/
                  Actually didn't know about that- thanks for the heads up!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

No problem; I was looking at bass preamp/ DI pedals for my wife for gigs where she would be using a provided back line, so she could get a more consistent tone dialled in easily, but we ended up getting her a Trace Elliot Elf micro-head instead.

Also, I believe that the Dr J (Joyo) Sparrow is based on one of the Tech 21 pedals.
                    Last edited by CaptainWhizz; 10-11-2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Actually didn't know about that- thanks for the heads up!
                      Bass Battalion was my 3rd call

Amp SCR-DI, MXR DI+, or the Battalion are all great Bass direct tools, or into an amp even...

Last edited by Aceman; 10-12-2021, 10:20 AM.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Bass Battalion was my 3rd call

Amp SCR-DI, MXR DI+, or the Battalion are all great Bass direct tools, or into an amp even...

When I see that Synth Wah Bass pedal on your board and then I picture your pink Dean bass - I get a vision of pure glam glory!
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

One of my favorite bass players, Greg Chaisson, uses an Ibanez TS-9 in front of his bass amp. Gives it that little extra punch.
                          When I had one, I ran the TC Electronics MojoMojo in front of my bass rig. I didn't like it much for guitar after I got more familiar with it and gave it some time on the pedalboard but with the bass setup it was really nice.

Comment

Digitech Bad Monkey. Thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                              Digitech Bad Monkey. Thank me later.
                              I am not sure, but this might not be a bad idea.

Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You have a Bad Monkey, don't you? Try it. The High / Low controls will be your friend. Do it!

Comment

Working...
                                X