No announcement yet.

Picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do use the same pick no matter what instrument...electric, acoustic or bass. I couldn't keep track of different picks for different things.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i usually use .88 tortex or .90 ultex. i do have two metal picks and i use em. pretty thin but very stiff, not sure what they are made of but i like em

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I do use the same pick no matter what instrument...electric, acoustic or bass. I couldn't keep track of different picks for different things.
        I wish

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post

Umm are you admitting something we dont know about you ?

I have tried metal picks and it gave me just the opposite effect you are describing, it was harsh, overly bright, hated the feel of the picks on the strings and not for nothing I was afraid of gouging the guitar with it. Think the ones I had were brass and absolutely hated them.
          I think it has to do with the mass of the pick. I've never liked a metal pick that I bought because of exactly what you describe but I find it to be the opposite with a shaped coin pick.

Comment

Generally, I play with my fingers because I have better control muting the strings that way but sometimes a pick is nice for attack.

I use Dunlop Sharp 1.5 on guitar but I lean lighter for bass because there’s never really a need to dig in. It just makes the notes ring sharp and makes fret noise. I honestly haven’t found the right thickness, yet.

Comment

The same thing that I use for electric and acoustic guitar. Dunlop Max Grip 1 mm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dunlop Max Grip 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.2 KB ID:	6161457

Comment

I usually use Graph Tek 1.00's Brights on bass. I like the Dunlop textured 0.63's for guitar.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I feel like i MUST ask:

-Why am I the "only one" playing wooden picks?! In my life, they immediately replaced every other pick I've tried; and they remain a huge part of my sound to this day. I use various sorts of wood, for different tones and applications. The black ebony one, is very warm and slick- while the lighter oak? has more texture, a brighter sound. The worn-down rosewood, gives a warm, blooming attack.

I could never go back to synthetic/plastic/nylon again.

just asking! (sorry for reposting about this again).

-Erlend
                  If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

At the rate I lose picks, I don't want to have to keep track of something fancier than my delrin ones. Wood picks certainly look nice, but it isn't a tone I am going for.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                      I feel like i MUST ask:

-Why am I the "only one" playing wooden picks?! In my life, they immediately replaced every other pick I've tried; and they remain a huge part of my sound to this day. I use various sorts of wood, for different tones and applications. The black ebony one, is very warm and slick- while the lighter oak? has more texture, a brighter sound. The worn-down rosewood, gives a warm, blooming attack.

I could never go back to synthetic/plastic/nylon again.

just asking! (sorry for reposting about this again).

-Erlend
                      This is how I feel about the CR 5 colone coin picks I use for guitar. The only thing that sucks is that I have to make them myself and now I have to buy them at 3-6 bucks apiece from coin sellers. They stopped making them in like 98' so its a collectable coin now but I just haven't found anything to replace it yet.

Comment

I like a lot of really bright attack especially for my bass sound.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a copper pick on my Tele, a Dunlap medium thumb pick on acoustic, and on the rare occasion I use a pick on bass; felt.
                          sigpic Wes
                          Originally posted by Robert S.
                          I love you too Charlie!
                          Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

It really depends on what I am doing. I look at picks like golf clubs or paintbrushes. Different picks for different situations. I will say the more stunning involved the lighter the pick, the more aggressive the lead playing the thicker the pick up to 2 - 3mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                              It really depends on what I am doing. I look at picks like golf clubs or paintbrushes. Different picks for different situations. I will say the more stunning involved the lighter the pick, the more aggressive the lead playing the thicker the pick up to 2 - 3mm.
                              Essentially this. My primary pick on electric is purple Tortex (1.14mm), but I"ll also use blue (1mm), green (0.88mm) or yellow (0.73mm) depending on what I'm playing through and the tone I'm after. I play a Fender Heavy if that's what's available, but I generally stick with those four because I've found what works for me. I played original Jazz IIIs for years but stopped because I didn't like how bright they were when recording.

My favorite acoustic pick is a Dunlop 0.73mm nylon, but I can use anything with similar weight and flex. I don't care for the loud 'click' I get from a heavier pick on acoustic.

For bass I swear by yellow 0.73mm Ultex triangle picks. They have the punch and 'heaviness' of a thicker pick without the click/clank.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

For bass; I like a Gator 2mm...

but for guitars; I swear by rosewood/walnut wooden picks! Once I tried wood- I'm NEVER going back!! =)

Timber Tones got some nices ones; (wanting to try their carbon fiber ones?!), ... but the ones on Wish, made out of (sorry, rain forest), is the very best.

-Erlend ♫
                                If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X