• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solspirit
    replied
    Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
    I feel like i MUST ask:

-Why am I the "only one" playing wooden picks?! In my life, they immediately replaced every other pick I've tried; and they remain a huge part of my sound to this day. I use various sorts of wood, for different tones and applications. The black ebony one, is very warm and slick- while the lighter oak? has more texture, a brighter sound. The worn-down rosewood, gives a warm, blooming attack.

I could never go back to synthetic/plastic/nylon again.

just asking! (sorry for reposting about this again).

-Erlend
    This is how I feel about the CR 5 colone coin picks I use for guitar. The only thing that sucks is that I have to make them myself and now I have to buy them at 3-6 bucks apiece from coin sellers. They stopped making them in like 98' so its a collectable coin now but I just haven't found anything to replace it yet.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    At the rate I lose picks, I don't want to have to keep track of something fancier than my delrin ones. Wood picks certainly look nice, but it isn't a tone I am going for.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    I feel like i MUST ask:

-Why am I the "only one" playing wooden picks?! In my life, they immediately replaced every other pick I've tried; and they remain a huge part of my sound to this day. I use various sorts of wood, for different tones and applications. The black ebony one, is very warm and slick- while the lighter oak? has more texture, a brighter sound. The worn-down rosewood, gives a warm, blooming attack.

I could never go back to synthetic/plastic/nylon again.

just asking! (sorry for reposting about this again).

-Erlend

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    I usually use Graph Tek 1.00's Brights on bass. I like the Dunlop textured 0.63's for guitar.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JOLLY
    replied
    The same thing that I use for electric and acoustic guitar. Dunlop Max Grip 1 mm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dunlop Max Grip 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.2 KB ID:	6161457

Leave a comment:

• formula73
    replied
    Generally, I play with my fingers because I have better control muting the strings that way but sometimes a pick is nice for attack.

I use Dunlop Sharp 1.5 on guitar but I lean lighter for bass because there’s never really a need to dig in. It just makes the notes ring sharp and makes fret noise. I honestly haven’t found the right thickness, yet.

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    Originally posted by Hsb View Post

Umm are you admitting something we dont know about you ?

I have tried metal picks and it gave me just the opposite effect you are describing, it was harsh, overly bright, hated the feel of the picks on the strings and not for nothing I was afraid of gouging the guitar with it. Think the ones I had were brass and absolutely hated them.
    I think it has to do with the mass of the pick. I've never liked a metal pick that I bought because of exactly what you describe but I find it to be the opposite with a shaped coin pick.

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I do use the same pick no matter what instrument...electric, acoustic or bass. I couldn't keep track of different picks for different things.
    I wish

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    i usually use .88 tortex or .90 ultex. i do have two metal picks and i use em. pretty thin but very stiff, not sure what they are made of but i like em

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    I do use the same pick no matter what instrument...electric, acoustic or bass. I couldn't keep track of different picks for different things.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Current favorites are the Jazz III .88 Tortex Flex and the Jim Root Dunlop sig pick. I'm almost 100% fingers with bass.

Leave a comment:

• chadd
    replied
    1.0 Delrin for bass, same or less for guitar.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Originally posted by Hsb View Post

I have tried metal picks and it gave me just the opposite effect you are describing, it was harsh, overly bright, hated the feel of the picks on the strings and not for nothing I was afraid of gouging the guitar with it. Think the ones I had were brass and absolutely hated them.
    lol no I'm quite certain about my bassology. ... that, one exception exists- playing with picks on a short scale.

I've been thinking about ordering the "Timber TOnes" metal pick set. But I think it will be too bright.

All I play these days (and since I discovered it) is wooden picks!!

-Erl

Leave a comment:

• Hsb
    replied
    Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
    I rarely play bass with a pick. It feels like making out with a dude .

But if I had to, or was playing an EB-0 (shortscale), I'd love to try a metal pick. That gives punchy lows, and alot of that "grit" that you'd like to let come buy, in the mix.

-E

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    I rarely play bass with a pick. It feels like making out with a dude .

But if I had to, or was playing an EB-0 (shortscale), I'd love to try a metal pick. That gives punchy lows, and alot of that "grit" that you'd like to let come buy, in the mix.

-E

Leave a comment:

Working...
X