banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will "A" get me to "B"? (Yammy amp question.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will "A" get me to "B"? (Yammy amp question.)

If I understand correctly, the original Fender 4x10 Bassman, made a great guitar amp. Then Yamaha made their own version, the G50-410. Does that mean my G50-410 might make a good bass amp? (Low to medium volume only.)

I haven't tried those era amps but I've never played a Yamaha anything that sounded bad...so should be at the least a decent amp if that era was remotely close to the current offerings.

Comment

It's somewhat old. I'm thinking late 80's, and maybe early 90's. I guess I should just try it and see. I just don't want to damage it.

Comment

I'd think if it wasn't too loud, you'd be fine. If you start hearing the speaker (which is what I'd worry about) fart out, turn it down.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I'd think if it wasn't too loud, you'd be fine. If you start hearing the speaker (which is what I'd worry about) fart out, turn it down.
          Yeah, I'd never play it loud. More of an experiment just to see if it sounded like the ole Fender Bassman might have sounded.

Comment

What Mincer said. I don't know how much money you're willing to throw at this, but you could probably improve it dramatically with a speaker swap.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Does that mean my G50-410 might make a good bass amp? (Low to medium volume only.)
            That depends on what you want from it. The idea of what makes a good bass amp evolved a lot between the 50s and late 60s, and it hasn't stopped since then. For example longcat and I have an Ampeg B-50R from the early 2000s; 50w solid state through a single 12" speaker. It does a decent impersonation of a B-15 Flip-Top, but tends to fall flat for more contemporary tones.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              I don't know how much money you're willing to throw at this . . .
              Zero.

Comment

Ah, then just use it for quiet-ish bass playing at home.

Comment

Ah, then just use it for quiet-ish bass playing at home.
                  I'll try it out later today. Just curious how four 10's will sound compared to my old Peavey TKO115.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I'll try it out later today. Just curious how four 10's will sound compared to my old Peavey TKO115.
                    Now I am curious, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X