banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap-ish portable practice rig that doesn't require a computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap-ish portable practice rig that doesn't require a computer?

So, I'm in a bit of a weird spot here -- I've been learning bass for my band and have been recording by just plugging into my interface and using VSTs in Reaper. However, I'll be travelling to the family farm soon for the holidays, and need to practice on the road, and I'll be away from a decent computer for most of this. Since I don't have any amp, this leaves me needing some kind of portable rig that can be used for practicing without a computer. Does anyone have any suggestions for this that won't break the bank?

You mean, like a headphone amp? Or a combo that allows you to plug your phone into it to play along?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't need backing-track play-along ability. A headphone amp would work fine; so would a reasonable-sounding decent cheap combo. I just have no idea what's out there when it comes to bass gear, and what the standards are for "cheap practice amp". It would be preferable if it has a built-in overdrive effect, since I don't use a fully clean tone.

Comment

A Katana head has bass and guitar models, with some small speakers that can act as a practice amp, and power a bigger cabinet if you need it.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a VOX headphone amp when I am not using it with the headphones, I plug it into my JBL Charge Bluetooth speaker via a cable, and it cranks and sounds fantastic. I do the same with my iRig setup and my iPad. FWIW, bootleg iRig connectors are $5 on Aliexpresss.

Comment

I've always wondered why there don't seem to be any little practice amps with a built in metronome. Seems like a no-brainer feature that all of us could use.

The closest I've been able to find is an old Digitech Trio pedal - it is tiny, has some amp sims and a headphone out, and you can mix in the drums to whatever tempo you want.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Fender Mustang Micro is really cool, and the Nux Mighty Plug Pro is also really cool, and more versatile. I think I like the Fender for simplicity, it’s a little easier to plug and play. You can Bluetooth to your phone with either and use a metronome app if you need. That’s how I practice at work, and the tones are ever really nice!

ETA: They are more guitar oriented, but the NUX can be set up to handle bass I think.
              Last edited by trevorus; 11-01-2022, 09:57 AM.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
              Originally posted by Securb
              The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Immediately I think about Bass PODs. Find them for under $100 on Ebay.
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

The little Tascam GB-10 Guitar/Bass recorder/trainer covers a lot of this for a fairly reasonable price. You can simply use it as a G/B headphone amp, (with a few effects). You can record and loop back. You can play along with a backing track, or song, that you load on a memory card. You can select, loop, and adjust the speed, of just a segment of the song. It runs on battery or external power, AND, it has a built in metronome.

The headphone out also doubles as a line out if you want to run into an external amp. I have one and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    The little Tascam GB-10 Guitar/Bass recorder/trainer covers a lot of this for a fairly reasonable price. You can simply use it as a G/B headphone amp, (with a few effects). You can record and loop back. You can play along with a backing track, or song, that you load on a memory card. You can select, loop, and adjust the speed, of just a segment of the song. It runs on battery or external power, AND, it has a built in metronome.

The headphone out also doubles as a line out if you want to run into an external amp. I have one and love it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...--tascam-gb-10
                    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Apple iPad and some iRig/amplitube gear and software?

Not cheap, but can do a small number of other tricks.

Comment

Also a viable option to just practice unplugged. I do this all the time.
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
                          I love how you picked up on my reference without me even quoting you.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                            Immediately I think about Bass PODs. Find them for under $100 on Ebay.
                            Yep, that's what I was thinking as well. If you're primarily just looking for something to plug some good headphones into for practice purposes, the Bass POD is a great option and really affordable.

Comment

Zoom B1 FOUR

Practice rig
                              Effects loop box
                              DI for quick/easy gigs

Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X