Upgrading Sub4 bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Sub4 bass

I've got a Sub4 bass that's just fine, but I'd be interested to hear what you guys have done to yours, seeing as it's a fairly popular and easy to mod instrument.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Yanked the active electronics, wired it like a P-Bass, installed a Seymour Duncan SMB-4a pickup wired in parallel, installed a Hipshot Xtender, and swapped the pickguard for a black one. I love that bass.

Comment

I too have a Hipshot extender. Definitely a worthwhile change
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I've toyed around with the idea of adding a John East MMSR preamp and maybe a new pickup, but I'm in no hurry to change it.

Comment

I replace pickups and other things on a lot of my other guitars and basses. For my Sterling Ray24 Bass, I put some D'Addario EXL190's (40-100) on it, and I'm pretty satisfied. Don't really feel the need to change anything else. Good strings really bring out what a bass is capable of. I had a more expensive Sterling Ray34 with the 3 band EQ, but I didn't like it as much and sold it.

Comment

Strings always get replaced. I did play the stock ones for a bit on mine until I got some replacements. Put some EB Slinky’s on it for a few years and recently put some Rotosound Swing 66’s on it. The Rotosounds are much nicer feeling.

Comment

Have you seen Low End Lobster’s YouTube channel? He has to have modded half a dozen of them then does an awesome demo at the end. Here’s a wild one:

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Not gonna lie he's got some pretty slick projects.

Comment

What's the best way to add a mute to an Sub4?

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    What's the best way to add a mute to an Sub4?
                    Buy a tuner pedal

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      Have you seen Low End Lobster’s YouTube channel? He has to have modded half a dozen of them then does an awesome demo at the end. Here’s a wild one:

Was also going to suggest Low End Lobster YouTube Channel. He compared couple of pickups/preamps for the Ray 4/24

Comment

I have a SUB guitar from Music Man...that was a great series!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a 2002 EBMM SR4H that I put the SD70s alnico pickup in. It’s wired with a seperate volume for each coil, and then a master tone. The fourth pot is just a dummy, but I bought 4 of them same so I have a spare mounted on the bass; should one ever fail. kind of like a jazz bass sound when you drop out one of the coils, but still super aggressive. I also have a 1999 and 2019 SR4, so I was excited about making one passive and slightly different sound. They all rip.

Comment

I "Upgraded" my Sub5 bass when the active EQ died (yes I tried changing the battery) by wiring it as just volume and tone. I like a warm bass so it works well for me.
                            "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah I usually dial my treble control all the way down and pick near the neck. I think I will get a thumb rest for it too while I'm at it, I play up there so much

Comment

Working...
                              X