Cleaning rosewood fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning rosewood fretboard?

What do you use for cleaning a rosewood fretboard? And after it I have to oil it?!
    How often should i use Fretboard Oil?
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

I just put lemon oil on a sock, get it clean, and wipe it dry.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i use this orangy red stuff called fretboard honey, i use jsut a soft polishing cloth and i apply the fretboard cleaner every time i change my strings

Comment

Seriously.....nothing like a little hot breath or saliva to clean a fretboard, just ask Dan Erlwine. The less abrasive and harsh the substance to clean the fretboard the better. Use some napthla if it's really dirty.

For oil, I've actually found that I like gun oil the best. Penetrates well and doesn't leave a sticky residue.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

fretboard

If its gotten goopy, I'll go over the rosewood crossways with super fine steel wool, then go over it with lemon oil. I do that a couple of times a year with my Les Paul.
          "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
          R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
          http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

i use two different techniques:

for a fretboard with a lot of an inlay, i just use some water on a paper towel and some elbow grease (very little water)

for a fretboard with no inlay (dots that arent abalone doesnt count as inlay). i use 500 steel wool. then a paper towel to rub it down. then i use some fretboard conditioner on a paper towel, and rub that in then off.

both of those methods work well for me.
            esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
            fender mim standard strat
            peavey classic 30
            johnson j-station
            original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
            dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
            yamaha f-310p acoustic
            taylor 410 acoustic
            "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I use Dr. Stringfellow's Lem-Oil. Polish a small amt. on with a soft cotton cloth, and wipe dry. I'll usually let it stand overnight and wipe again. New strings and you're set! I'll do it about 3-4 times per year.
              Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

If you leave the strings off overnight, won't the neck warp? I mean, my guitar teacher reccomends me to replace the strings one at a time to minimize warping. I like to only have to adjust the truss rod less than 10 times a year.
                Originally posted by The Minstrel
                Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

i use "lizard spit".. which i thought was lemon oil until i just looked at the label.... its actually orange oil. i just put alittle on an old tshirt and rub it in good and let it dry.
                  '05 Gibson SG Standard
                  '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
                  PRS IRW McCarty
                  '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
                  82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

adjust trust rod less than 10 times a year? what?

i leave mine alone, and have left guitars without strings for up to a week (no strings!)

when my guitars go in for there yearly checkup (re-set) the tech does a tiny bit of tinkering with the rod, but not alot.....

im a big fan of a damp rag for cleaning
                    Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                    Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                    Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                    Crate VC-3112
                    Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                    Fender Bassman 60

Comment

I've heard that the acids in lemon oil can damage the finish if it comes in contact. Maybe, but who knows for sure. I've always used "Bore Oil" - works like a charm

See website: http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
                      (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

yes, if you leave strings off of a guitar for a large amount of time the neck will warp. when you clean a fretboard, however, you have to take the strings off. what i do is take em off one at a time, clean the board, and put new strings on. this takes less than an hour to do....
                        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                        fender mim standard strat
                        peavey classic 30
                        johnson j-station
                        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                        yamaha f-310p acoustic
                        taylor 410 acoustic
                        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

The purpose of oil on the fingerboard is two fold one is to clean the second is to keep the frets from coming loose. If you notice the frets beginning to stick out of the sides of the board. Your guitar needs moisture!!!!!!!!
                          1. First and formost. Always wipe down the fingerboard when you are done playing. This will eliminate many of the problems with guitars.Sweat can cause numerous problems!
                          2. 3 to 4 times a year remove all the strings and apply a liberal amount of lemon oil, and allow the lemon oil to sit on the fingerboard for about 15 minutes. (this lets the board soak up the moisture and this helps the frets from moving.) without the strings you can see any noticalble fret ware as well!
                          3. While the fingerboard is still moist with the lemon oil, use (00000)(or very fine) steel wool to buff the frets. this removes any build up on them. (maple boards you must tape of the board to protect the finish)
                          4. wipe off all excess and restring your guitar.
                          I have done this regularly and have NEVER had a problem with my boards or frets
                          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've always used bore oil. It's ridiculously cheap too. $2 will last you like a year. (hint to Stringfellow user)
                            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                            Originally posted by Sosomething
                            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                              Seriously.....nothing like a little hot breath or saliva to clean a fretboard, just ask Dan Erlwine.
                              When in doubt listen to Dan!

After cleaning I use Stew-Mac's "Fretboard Finishing Oil" twice a year. I bought one bottle years ago, gave some to my bass player son and what I end up not using will go into my estate.
                              John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X