The "Mystery" guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Mystery" guitar

I just got a new guitar today, although I have no Idea who makes it, or if its even a good guitar. My brother bought it from a pawn shop a year or 2 ago and he had it sitting in a case in his closet since. On the headstock it reads "Stinger X26" The guitar is finished in a low gloss black finish, the entire guitar aside from the fingerboard "Which was done in a dark rosewood" is covered in the black finish. It seems to have a slightly short scale neck. the pickups are HSH configuration, they are unmarked pups, so I dont know what they are. They sound real heavy when I played the guitar though. Reminds me alot of Duncan Distortions. the guitar looks extremely stealthy, Everything is black aside from the fret board, and the pup covers are done in half ivory, half black. Even the tuners and tuning pegs are black. It has one volume and 2 tone knobs, the selector switch feels pretty nice, and makes no noise when plugged in. The body gives off a "Schecter" vibe. I took it to the local guitar shop to get some strings on it so I could try it out and the luthier there told me he thinks Stinger was some small outfit owned by martin a long time ago, but he didnt really know much about them. Just wondering if anyone has encountered a guitar like this, and if they may have some information on the "Mystery Guitar"
    Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Re: The "Mystery" guitar

Martin made some electrics and basses in the 80's under the name " Stinger ".
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

So would that be an indication of martin throwing its hat into the ring of the 80's trend of having korean companies build guitars for you under a different name? If so, thats really cool.

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

Yep. That's exactly what it was. ...........
        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Very interesting, I didnt see martin as the type of company to do that. I now own a peice of Martin's Dirty history. haha

Comment

Yeah, they were made around the same time as the Kramer, Charvel, Ibanez craze in the 80's.
            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
            X