banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How highs your action and what style do you play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How highs your action and what style do you play?

i set up all my guitars with a 3 mm action (bass side) dunno what the measurements are on the treble side but i find i'm able to dig in more and the whole guitar feels and is louder

i play anything from country to death metal and i find 3mm covers it all. for cleans i find a low action doesnt give a good tone, 3mm is a bit hard to sweep on with 10s but its manageable

just wondering
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: How highs your action and what style do you play?

im not exactly sure how high, ok i just measured my lp 0.197" on high e, 0.199" on the low e, 12th fret, strung with 11's, neck dead straight
    i play some kinda blues based rock most of the time, switching to slide when the spirit moves

Comment

actually ive never measured. its as low as it can be without buzzing. on my music man, with a scalloped neck, you can dig in no matter how low the action is. i dont like to work very hard.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I play mostly metal, so it's as low as possible. I let the pickup/amp do the work
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

im the exact opposite then i play metal but i still like to dig in and do the work myself, that way i get more of a buzz from it somehow coz i feel like im kinda winning a battle ? :/
          My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Black Strat (13-56 strings, drop C) 2mm low E 1.5mm high e

Red Strat (11-48 strings, Standard tuning) 1.25mm low E, 1.25mm high e

Les Paul (11-48 strings, Standard tuning) 1mm low E, 1.5mm high E (This guitar has never been setup, I'm waiting for a new set of pickups before I bother.

EDIT: Oh, and I play punk and metal, but mostly punk.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Both my Strats and my Sigma have action as low as possible before fret buzz takes control. Same with my basses, the bridges are so low, the screw-posts aren't even in the saddles anymore... tehehehe... I play... singer/song writer type stuff and psudeo-punk and art-rock
              You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

As low as I can go without buzzing.

Music wise, I play progressive rock, blues and some R&B
                Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

my ibanez electric bass has the action down to where it almost buzzes when i fingerpick. i cant play with a pick on it because it will buzz A LOT, but its EXTREMELY good for pop n slap. my warlock has a higher action i dont know what but it doesnt buzz even the single bit when i use a pick but it SUCKS for pop n slap.
                  The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

I play more classic Rock and blues. All my electrics are strung with 11's. I set the action at about 1/8th from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret. I have a lot of guitars. Some can play well lower, but I also play a lot of acoustic guitar (13 thru 56) and I tune to pitch. I find the transition much easier when I go from Acoustic to electric when the action on the electrics are up a bit higher. Most other players complain when they play my guitars. String tension is tight and high action! It suits my playing style well.
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I start with the Gibson/Hamer or Fender specs (depending on the guitar), and then adjust from there. I hate action that's too high. As far as style goes: Classic Rock, Chicago Blues, & British Blues.
                      "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

i had it the 2cm (from the body to the middle of the string right at the bridge) very good for digging in, but i lowered it now for more tapping and that type of playing, still growls good enough for heavy rythms, but i'm able to play a tad faster and clearer

oh and i play metal

Comment

I don't pay too much attention to setup measurements or factory specs. I just set it so that it's comfortable for me. Both my guitars are set up with 10-46 strings, and a string height of about 2 mm at the 12th fret on the low E string. I always start by setting the truss rod so that the neck is almost straight, with just a very small amount of relief. Then I lower the action until I get buzzing, and I use that as my starting point. I raise it a small bit at a time until I get the optimal balance between low action and comfortable bending. I play mostly classic rock and blues, so I need to be able to bend comfortably. I can get the action slightly lower than I have it now, but then I start to experience problems with bends. I play with a fairly light touch, so I can get away with lower action than some people. I learned to play guitar on an electric, which probably explains the light touch. I got used to letting the amp and pickup do the work, whereas my friends who started on an acoustic and moved to electric really dig into the strings, and have to keep the action higher to avoid buzzing problems.

Ryan
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I use 0-999s and have them about a pinchharmonic away.....I drilled my Floyd so it could accept the strings....
                            I play brew music....it er brews...strangledly too.
                            Got a grand piano with a floyd too.
                            Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 07-01-2004, 02:44 PM.

Comment

i hate those grand pianos with floyds, the damn trem gets in the way of the keys!
                              My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Working...
                              X