Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Telecaster yesterday

Hey guys.

I happened to mention to a friend of mine that owns a small music shop that I was after a 'beater' guitar. Something nice and cheap that I could take on holiday with me etc and not have to risk my Gibby or any of my Strats.

He mentions that he's had this Gould Telecaster in the shop ever since he opened, and no-one's ever been interested. It turns out that (he thinks) the guitar never sold because it's Sea Foam Green!

I sit down and play the guitar and I'm surprised by how well it plays. The neck is nice and fat and the pickups sound very sweet. He offers me the guitar for £99 (instead of £129) and gives me a set of strings too. How could I turn down such an offer?!

I dunno if anyone's actually interested, but thought I'd share anyway

Craig

Re: Bought a Telecaster yesterday

SeaFoam green Tele...mmmmmmmmm...SCORE! Sounds kool man and have fun with it.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
    Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
    Celestion speakers
    Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
    Too many pedals....

Comment

don't let seafoamer see it!

good score, especially if you like the way it plays ... but of course, now you'll be hooked on teles

I'd say you've got the bases covered - strat, tele, LP
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
        It turns out that (he thinks) the guitar never sold because it's Sea Foam Green!
        Man I love that color!!
        -Butch Snyder
        butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Thanx for the replies guys.

After a bit playing the Tele a bit more I'm still very surprised by how well it plays and sounds for such a cheap guitar!

I'm also thinking about ways to 'relic' the guitar as I think battered Telecasters look cool!

Comment

Nice score, man! Great color and if it plays as good as it looks it's gotta be a winner!
            Good job!!

Comment

Nice score and cool color!
              '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I'm also thinking about ways to 'relic' the guitar as I think battered Telecasters look cool!
                Hell yeah!

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                Celestion speakers
                Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by butnut
                  See! Told ya battered Teles look cool

Comment

How to relic a guitar:

Tie rope (approx 10') to guitar (optional of keeping strings on) - fix end of rope to part of the car - drag the car across pebbled road for approx 2 miles. Stop car turn the guitar upside down and fix again to car, drive another 2 miles so as to get equal wear. You may need to repeat this operation a few times, depending on how reliced you want the guitar. Smooth down any rough edges with sandpaper and then laquer the guitar so that it remains that way.

Alternatively:

Put paint stripper over the body and leave for 10-20 minutes, wipe off afterwards to get desired result. This may need to be repeated depending on how much colour you want left n the body.

Or:

Just go gigging a lot and throw the guitar in a plastic bag and leave it in the boot of the car, amongst all the other rubbish that is there. Scrapes, dings and dents will all be natural. Don't clean the guitar at all.
                    Normans Guitars

Comment

I dunno, Brow ... "relic"ing a guitar strikes me as a bit like razor-blading the knees of a pair of jeans...

Earn those battle scars. It's no fun unless you have a story to go with that dent ...or this scratch...or the other rub.

Enjoy the new toy.
                      <----- another experiment in rewiring turns tragic.

Comment

Originally posted by DanteG
                        I dunno, Brow ... "relic"ing a guitar strikes me as a bit like razor-blading the knees of a pair of jeans...

Earn those battle scars. It's no fun unless you have a story to go with that dent ...or this scratch...or the other rub.

Enjoy the new toy.
                        I was only half serious. I dunno if I could bring myself to purposely damage a guitar!

Comment

I was only half serious. I dunno if I could bring myself to purposely damage a guitar!

Really ? Those who hear me play offer to damage my guitars all the time !
                          <----- another experiment in rewiring turns tragic.

Comment

Well, I got this beater strat and decided to relic it and when all was said and done, I had fun, but I should have just left it alone. The ultra-thick layer of poly was a mofo to get off.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                            X