banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question For Zerberus Or Anyone In The Know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For Zerberus Or Anyone In The Know?

What is the best way to remove a decal from the maple headstock of a fender Strat? Sandpaper or some kind of liquid disolvent? Thanks in advance..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Question For Zerberus Or Anyone In The Know?

Depends on the decal. If it can be dissolved and we´re not talking about a nitro finish then use the most aggressive stuff you can find just to make sure.

But I´d say in about 90% of the cases it has to be sanded anyway, so I don´t mess around with solvents but just grab a sheet of 40 grit and a bottle of elbow grease
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

If your talking about a bumper sticker type of thing? 3M makes a great
      product call Addhisive and wax remover that works like a charm.
      If your talking about the accutal headstock logo? It's buiried under a few
      coats of poly.
      I would just take the tuners off and sand the whole front off with a block.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
        If your talking about a bumper sticker type of thing? 3M makes a great
        product call Addhisive and wax remover that works like a charm.
        If your talking about the accutal headstock logo? It's buiried under a few
        coats of poly.
        I would just take the tuners off and sand the whole front off with a block.
        Thanks guys...I'm talking about the actual Fender decal....I want to put a spaghetti logo in place of the 80s decal because it's going to be my guitar and I Like the looks of the older decals better...I've put a few decals on and refinished over the decal,but I've not had to remove one...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I really don't know ... does finger nail polish remover work?
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
            Hmmm.....So tempting Curly...

John

Comment

Don't go there, Curly!....lol.... I suggested once in a thread here to someone, who wanted to remove some dribbled super-glue off the body of a guitar, that nail-polish remover would probably remove it with no problem....several people chimed in to put the ki-bosh on that. They said it would eat right through the glue and the finish.
              I'd agree with the fine-grit sandpaper approach....maybe follow up with some rubbing compound and a good polish? Would a hair-dryer soften it up enough to maybe peel it iff?
              Good luck!

-Bob

Comment

Most likely Not ? Nail polish remover is acetone. like midnight man said
                If you happen to Crazy glue your fingers together that's the stuff ya want. It is nasty stuff but I doubt it will have the desired effect
                on the poly finish on that headstock? I don't know how much of a project
                you wanna make this? But I would sand it to bare wood,Than www.reranch.com sells a product called Fender neck Amber. 1 or 2 coats
                you get a nice light amber 5 or 6 coats ya get a Med.Amber CBS era
                Keep Goin' ya get a deep nicotine stained 50's vintage look. Than you apply
                the decal Clear coat w/t poly or Lacquer
                http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                  Most likely Not ? Nail polish remover is acetone. like midnight man said
                  If you happen to Crazy glue your fingers together that's the stuff ya want. It is nasty stuff but I doubt it will have the desired effect
                  on the poly finish on that headstock? I don't know how much of a project
                  you wanna make this? But I would sand it to bare wood,Than www.reranch.com sells a product called Fender neck Amber. 1 or 2 coats
                  you get a nice light amber 5 or 6 coats ya get a Med.Amber CBS era
                  Keep Goin' ya get a deep nicotine stained 50's vintage look. Than you apply
                  the decal Clear coat w/t poly or Lacquer
                  Midnite Man...I'm ok with all suggestions and never rip on anyone that would offer info..Depends on who sends the info I guess?

I Like to do things the right way..Next time I restring,I'll take the tuners and string tree off and sand it nice and smooth..I'm familiar with Reranch and I think Stew Mac has a spray can based on the amber coloring...Mine is more of a honey color and so I'd need to try and match that as close as I can...I may elect to leave well enough alone if I find I'm putting too much effort into this!

John

Comment

Here's a pic of my 'replaced' decal Wattage made for me. It's the exact Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strat that's above it, satin poly. Took me an hour of careful sanding with 220, 320 and 400. I did'nt want to disturb the original tone and satin so I just concentrated on the decal. You can still see a faint outline of the Fender, but after I shot the poly, I did the shoe polish and it's hard to see it now...be careful, when the decal comes off, there is a thin layer of poly or sealer under it, try not to sand that off.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                    Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                    Celestion speakers
                    Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                    Too many pedals....

Comment

I've often wondered about this myself. I'd like to take the logo off LesStrat and get a replacement sticker that said "LesStrat" (or paint it on).
                      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                      X