No announcement yet.

What should i do with these NOS tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i do with these NOS tubes?

The komet head that im getting shipped here as im typing this message has been geared up with three NOS Mullard 12ax7's. Now i understand these tubes are quite special, so what do you guys think i should do with them.

I was thinking i could take them out and perhaps put them back in when i get more cosy with the amp and perhaps do some recording and gigging, just so i dont use them up on bedroom playing and rehearsing which i think would be a waste.

What do you think about that? I was thinking of getting some GT Mullard reissues instead. Ill actually have three spare JJ's if i use all my high gain graded tubes in my ENGL or something, because i got three extra high gain graded JJ's when i bought my new tubes recently. I could even put one of them in my Komet.

Thoughts?
    My Soundclick page.

Re: What should i do with these NOS tubes?

I think you have a good idea going on. Save the actual Mullards for special occasions.

As far as the GT Mullards, they're far superior to any other modern production tube so they're definitely going to make that amp shine. Well worth it IMHO.

If you have free time one day, try them both out and post your findings Gearjoneser said that the GT is very accurate to the original, but I'd be interested in your opinion as well.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

i vote for putting one of the mullards in the V1 slot and follow hat up with production tubes in the other slots.
      Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

YUP' Save Em' I have a whole box of NOS tubes I've been collecting
        for years. Most have seen better days, But some work and sound Great !!
        The best pair of 6L6s I ever got was from a old Juke box someone had out
        on trash Night. Back in the 80's I was lead to believe in 15 years there
        would be NO TUBES !! So on trash night I would go out and raid
        any tube device anyone was kind enough to throw out.
        Last edited by kmcguitars; 07-03-2004, 05:38 PM.
        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Sounds like a good plan you got there Young_Angus! Let me know more about both the GT Mullards as well as the actual NOS Mullards. I'm anxious as I'm also in the tube shopping mode - PM please! GL!

Comment

here's what you do... you put those NOS tubes in a box... and send them to me.
            You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Originally posted by Indie P Bass
              here's what you do... you put those NOS tubes in a box... and send them to me.
              Ok no worries...but they might look a little old and have worn "mesa boogie" labels on them
              My Soundclick page.

Comment

I would ebay them, you could get like 150 bucks easily. They'd go for quite a bit. I won't deny that they aren't super, but I'd rather cash in on them, get the GT Mullards and hardly hear the difference.

Comment

Working...
                X