Restoring my Vintage Kustom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring my Vintage Kustom

I have a Kustom Bass III head that someone massacred by painting it green and taking all the hardware off. Now... I don't know what they look like... per say, but, I've seen a picture of one...
    I was going to use the hardware from http://www.vibroworld.com/index.shtml to restore it. I'm planning on re-tolexing, putting some feet on it, corners and a handle. Now... what kind of work are we talking? I can do the hardware, but, the tolexing, I'm kind'a leery of. How hard is it? Can't be much differant then wrapping a present.

PS, attached is the only picture I've ever seen of a Kustom III head, to see mine, take a look at my gear link, it's rediculous
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Re: Restoring my Vintage Kustom

Tolex is the stiffest mutha of all vinyls. It's applied with contact cement and fairly easy on the flat spots. The corners are the trickiest to look right, gotta have enough glue and really finesse the trim to get it smooth, tight and the seam almost invisible. I've got almost 30 years upholstery experience, and those corners were still tricky. Doing that head won't be too bad as you have metal corner caps to hide any bad cuts...good luck.
    Blonde Tolex on my Champ...

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
    Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
    Celestion speakers
    Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
    Too many pedals....

Comment

Re: Restoring my Vintage Kustom

Originally posted by butnut
      Tolex is the stiffest mutha of all vinyls. It's applied with contact cement and fairly easy on the flat spots. The corners are the trickiest to look right, gotta have enough glue and really finesse the trim to get it smooth, tight and the seam almost invisible. I've got almost 30 years upholstery experience, and those corners were still tricky. Doing that head won't be too bad as you have metal corner caps to hide any bad cuts...good luck.
      Blonde Tolex on my Champ...
      that's a nice looking little amp.
      You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Working...
      X