Slash's Solo Tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slash's Solo Tones?

So, I'm listening to the new velvet Revolver CD, it's pretty good. Then the Cd player comes to "Fall To Pieces". I must say, I like this song a lot, I don't know about you guys, but i love Slash's tone on that songs small, simple solo. Anyone have a suggestion for a pedal or something short of an amp that'll give me a decent Marshally kinda smooth Slash growl? I have a Gibson LP studio running through a Peavey XXX at the moment with a cab loaded with v30's. Thanks!

Re: Slash's Solo Tones?

Jeez, you pretty much have the proper rig for getting that sound. A Les Paul's neck pickup with highgain out of the XXX will get you to most Guns or Velvet solos.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

A marshall. Slash's tone is really not that covered up in effects or anything. It sounds like a Les Paul into a Marshall. I think he actually uses a Boss EQ pedal for a little boost to solos.

Comment

Try putting a Duncan Alnico II Pro in the neck spot, that'll really nail his tone. It's not hard at all to get his sound. I can get his "November Rain" tone or "Appetite for Destruction" tone with the Alnico II Pro in my Hamer, run through my Classic 50. Slash doesn't use a ton of gain or very many effects, so you don't really need a high gain amp or lots of pedals to nail his tone.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

In a recent interivew in TOTAL GUITAR, Slash revealed that he pretty much used a custom guitar that's essentially a Les Paul with Alnico 2 Pro in the bridge, and a Tele, into a variety of Marshalls ... I think he used an original JCM800, a plexi, and two signature heads, if I recall the pictures correctly. A VHT Pitbull was used also, but I don't know if Slash used this head or not.

Some of the guitar tones clearly have an OD or Fuzz box used on them, and one solo has a ring modulator on it, barely mixed in.

I've heard the VR CD about a dozen times so far, and I think it's a great rock CD ... I really love the crazy whammy bar solo on 'Sucker Train Blues', which I also think is the longest solo on the album. I wish the solos could've been a bit longer, overall.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I had Alnico II Pros in a Les Paul for a while. I got amazing close to Slash's tone plugging that guitar into a JCM900 combo amp.
            "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
            - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
            X