Just saw an infomercial for a soldering iron called Cold Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saw an infomercial for a soldering iron called Cold Heat

If this thing is legit, it will save ALL OF US a great deal of pain (from headaches and burns)

for those who have not heard about it, its a cordless iron that has a button that when pressed, heats up the iron to 800 degrees in seconds, then when the button is let go, the iron cools right down in seconds.

i usually hate infomercials but this is actually something that i would appreciate. i just wonder if its legit and not junk. because if i see one in stores i will have to try it out.

just thought i would give a heads up

Re: Just saw an infomercial for a soldering iron called Cold Heat

I saw that advertisement this weekend. I tend to be a little skeptical of the "miracle cure" type products. I've been using the same 25 watt soldering iron for 15 years and I don't see any reason why I would change now.
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I saw that, and my g/f ordered it for me. It shoud be here in 6-8 weeks. Thats a long ass time
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Review: http://www.moddershq.net/reviews.asp...2&pagenumber=1

Comment

holy ****, I HAVE to have that
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I don't know if I'd trust it....
            You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Well I would not use it for our pedals
              But as a field tool on PA jobs....there it could have some good useage.

Comment

sounds a little iffy to me.
                :firing: :soapbox: :rocket: :omg:
                Its the way things are, kill the ones w/ the ideas.

Comment

I don't think a sudden jolt in amperage or temp (what it says from the article) would hurt a pickup, but I wonder about a pot, or any active electronics...

Comment

Looks like something worth trying, can you give us a review when you get yours, Beandip?
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I'd be interested in what some of the hardcore guys like Lew and his brother Bruce would have to say about this, primarily about the way it might interact with capacitors and resistors on a point to point amp.... hmmm.... great idea if it works.

That reviewer used a big ass soldering iron gun to compare with this little gizmo. I'd never use a big gun like that on anything but trying to attach a ground to a chassis, maybe.... Mostly I have this tiny little iron that I've had for 20 years. Works just fine.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                        That reviewer used a big ass soldering iron gun to compare with this little gizmo. I'd never use a big gun like that on anything but trying to attach a ground to a chassis, maybe.... Mostly I have this tiny little iron that I've had for 20 years. Works just fine.

i was just thinking that. and my iron is about the same age, been around for quite a while, dont think ive replaced the tip in a long time either, but still id be willing to give something new a shot

Hey beandip, when you get it man please shoot a review our way, we'd love to hear from someone we know on the boards

Comment

I don't see any problem with it. I'll certaintly give one a go cos I do a lot of soldering.
                          2002 PRS Singlecut, Duncan Custom / '59
                          2002 Gibson LP Sandard, Duncan Custom / Burstbucker Pro
                          Washburn BT2 "experimental guitar", ever changing pups
                          Laney TT-20 + cab
                          Marshall DSL50
                          Enough effects to sink a battleship

I build custom fuzz and switch/loop boxes! PM me with your dream and I'll see what I can do!

"I, my friend, am danger on legs. DO NOT mess with me".

Comment

Well, when you solder, you only want the tip to be in contact with the solder and the connection for a split second or you'll be burning something.

This sounds like a great idea. It heats up solder very quickly so if used lightly, it will cool it down before it causes any damage. I like the fact that solder doesn't stick to the tip at all. I'm constantly fighting with the short cord on my stupid Radio Shack one, so this looks like a real savior. It's not like this is in the price range of a Weller, it's only $20.
                            Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                            Originally posted by Zerberus
                            Better is often the enemy of good
                            Originally posted by ginormous
                            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

i saw that too...it sounds interesting!?
                              Originally posted by jeremy
                              God hates bad guitar tone
                              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Working...
                              X