X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Wood Is This?

Is it alder?

Thanks for your help......
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Re: What Wood Is This?

im not a wood expert but that looks similar to the mahogany on the bottom of my guitar teachers tele.

dont quote me im probably wrong, wait till one of the experienced guys comes and clears it up for you is a safer bet
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by darkshadow54321

Is it alder?

Thanks for your help......
      Mahogany is usually very tight(close)grained and Korina is similar...Maybe Zerberus will chime in for us...??? Doesn't look like either of these 2 woods..

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
        im not a wood expert but that looks similar to the mahogany on the bottom of my guitar teachers tele.

dont quote me im probably wrong, wait till one of the experienced guys comes and clears it up for you is a safer bet
        Unless your teacher's Tele is a custom wood Tele.."Generally" Teles are either ash or alder....Pine if you go all the way back to the Nocaster...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Looks abit like maple.

Comment

I don't think it's mahogany, since I can compare to my LP. It looks much more like an alder or an ash....one of those types of wood. Although ash is usually more 'swirly', so I'm guessing it's alder.

Comment

Nah Alder is usually more swirly than those straight lines this body shows.
              Who made it by the way??

Comment

It's a Tokai body

Comment

Ok......hmm moment then.

Comment

Should be Korina then....but the colour looks wrong for that somehow?!
                    Had a look at the Tokai registry.....but sofar no luck, Korina and Mahogony where the only suggestions.

Comment

Yeah Mahogany is the most consistant usage in the various catalouges, is the head a trad Explorer or is it one of those Dean like heads??
                      Nope it is a Heavey Metal model....lol

Take a look here.
                      Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 07-05-2004, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm. It's a tough call .By process of elimanation I'd say it's not
                        Mahognay. At 1st glance it looks like korina,But the grain is normalaly
                        a little tighter than this So sratch korina. If it's heavy i've seen Northern
                        Ash with grain simular to this. My best Guess.... It's Alder ? Maybe Lew
                        will chime in? He know's his woods
                        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Morning Wood! hahah I crack myself up sometimes. Actually I really dont know, but to me it looks a slight bit like Maple.
                          Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

It is not a clear picture.
                            It could be Mahogany, or the type of Japanese Ash, like you find on some of the 76-79 Ibanez Destroyers.
                            If you can get a neck to fit, & it is a really good price it may be a good deal
                            http://media.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/stfu6.jpg

Comment

As you can tell by all the different ideas, we need a better picture. Ash IŽd more or less rule out, Alder or poplar doesnŽt usually have that strong of a grain structure.

So thats 3 woods down, 9997 to go
                              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
                              X