Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books or a teacher?? Theory??

Hi guys!

I am really thinking I want to bone up on some theory and improvisational skills, etc! I have really gotten rusty since all I do is wrtie songs with the band and play the same licks over and over again! I kind of feel you can take a good theory, technique book or video/DVD and apply it to all styles.

I thin I am looking for an all inclusive theory book and also a good technique book which also helps with improvising, etc.

Is this a good way to go or is it better to just find a good teacher. I do know a great teacher locally but it is difficult to devote time between band, family, etc.

For this reason I wish I could just find some good theory and technique books and DVDs which would allow me to go at my own pase and are thorough and easy to understand. Do they exist?

I have the Fretboard Logic series but got bored. Maybe I'll di 'em out again. I have also been dabbling in Try Stetina's books.

Maybe I don't have to get very in depth, but I have been looking at this book - http://www.edly.com/mtfpp.html
    Thanks for any advice guys.

Rich

Re: Books or a teacher?? Theory??

IMO a great instructor is better than a thousand books/DVDs.
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I never took a formal lession So I can't comment on that. But i have
      watched a few video's and I got a lot out of it. Warren Haynes has
      a great video on the art of improvation.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
        I never took a formal lession So I can't comment on that. But i have
        watched a few video's and I got a lot out of it. Warren Haynes has
        a great video on the art of improvation.
        Do you know where to find that book?

Comment

Try this site hot licks video
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

well, as a teacher, and someone that has taken tons of lessons and owns lots of books...
            the more advanced books make it so you need a teacher to help explain. Also, very few DVDs by famous players are 'instructional' in the traditional way...more like, you learn just by watching a great player play, not by actually teaching.
            Since learning stuff can't hurt you, just make time for a few lessons, and be very clear with the teacher what you want to focus on. You will spend less money, and get direct 1 on 1 instruction with answers to your questions.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would go both ways. Work with a quality teacher who will generally recommend what books to use. The teacher can than explain what you are not getting by reading the Book!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I played guitar for 8 years before taking instruction.

I've learned more about guitar in the last two months than I have in the last eight years of reading books.

When reading books, you only find the pieces of the puzzle as you need them. When you have an instuctor, they can hand you the whole picture.

Generally, I go to instruction to learn, and I use books to practice from.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Every year, a few hundred good folks graduate with a degree in Guitar/ Music Theory from the Berkely School of Music.

Sadly, some of them end up working at the local 7-11 to pay the bills.

Happily for you, they ALSO teach weeknight/weekends to make beer money.

Find one living nearby and pay him to school you for 6 months. It'll be the best thing you ever did.

Comment

If you have a teacher and sheduled lessons that you are paying for, then your practice becomes like homework and you not only want to do it more because you're paying for it, but so long as you're going to lessons you feel like you have to do it so that when you go to the lesson you can show your teacher what you've done and its not a waste of time and money.

I just started up formal jazz guitar lessons which ive wanted to do for ages and that exactly whats happening to me...and its great!
                    My Soundclick page.

Comment

I've done both, no reason to limit yourself.

You want an excellent book - Jesse Gress' Guitar Cookbook - it covers so much it ought to cost 5x its cover price. Clearly written, enjoyable, easy to understand and follow and tons of knowledge. He must be one hell of an instructor. Berklee School of Music has a number of excellent guitar instruction books as well.
                      Last edited by Wattage; 07-07-2004, 08:26 AM.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                        well, as a teacher, and someone that has taken tons of lessons and owns lots of books...
                        the more advanced books make it so you need a teacher to help explain. Also, very few DVDs by famous players are 'instructional' in the traditional way...more like, you learn just by watching a great player play, not by actually teaching.
                        Since learning stuff can't hurt you, just make time for a few lessons, and be very clear with the teacher what you want to focus on. You will spend less money, and get direct 1 on 1 instruction with answers to your questions.

I have a strong desire to get a better understanding of theory, improvisational skills where I don't always plays the same licks not knowing where to go or do next. I am really not able to just sit in with guys and jam. I always have to pre-arrange stuff which is a pain.

Maybe a teacher is best as I do know a good one. My guitar tech friend has his own business of repairing and modifying guitars, not to mention the best fret dressings this side of the mississippi! He also teaches two days a week, plus offered to teach me from his home since we go way back.
                        Last edited by papersoul; 07-07-2004, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
                          If you have a teacher and sheduled lessons that you are paying for, then your practice becomes like homework and you not only want to do it more because you're paying for it, but so long as you're going to lessons you feel like you have to do it so that when you go to the lesson you can show your teacher what you've done and its not a waste of time and money.
                          My teacher rides my ass about practicing, and if he doesn't think I'm practicing enough, he gets mad at me for waisting his time and threatens to stop teaching me.
                          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I don't think it would be cool for me to take lessons and be in a band. It is tough enough as it is being in a band and taking time away from the family. Maybe I'll have to stick with books.

Comment

Working...
                            X