Tube Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Advice

Ok... I just dropped 16 bucks on a single 12AX7... I feel so dirty. In anycase, one of my tubes went microphonic on my last night, is it safe to mix 1 russian tube with 2 chinese tubes? Beyond that... can I mix the czech JJ's with the GT sovtek? would that be doable? thanks in advance.
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Re: Tube Advice

When it comes to preamp tubes, anything goes. you can mix and match to your hearts desire with no ill will granted they are the same type of tubes. Russians mixed with Chinese are fine as well as JJs mixed with Sovtecks. However, for power tubes, it is highly recomended to use the same tube style and manufacturer for all of the set. But if you change power amp tubes its best to have a tech redo the bias as it will probably need adjustment too.
    Good Luck,
    Brian
    Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

yeah, I'm leaving recto and power replacement to my tech's. Preamps, I'll handle my own.
      You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

what if you buy the same brand and grade power tube and put it in your amp to replace the same brand and grade tube? i dont think that needs biasing. isnt biasing for when you go from el34 to 6l6gc or another tube type that carries a different wattage?
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
          what if you buy the same brand and grade power tube and put it in your amp to replace the same brand and grade tube? i dont think that needs biasing. isnt biasing for when you go from el34 to 6l6gc or another tube type that carries a different wattage?

Just buy a matched pair, or matched quad.

I myself ALWAYS check the bias.
          Once i bought a ´matched pair´ JJ el34. Put ´em in my amp and checked the bias. turns out they weren´t matched. one tube would draw, say 43ma and the other 48ma.
          So you wanna make sure they are matched.
          As for the el34´S, I like JJ´s and Svetlana.

Comment

ElectroHarmonix makes a very good power tube. Their 6L6GC's compared very favorably to th RCA Blackplates I had in my Bassman. Their el34's sound very good as well. I liked them better than the Siemens EL's that came in my Duncan Convertible.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I've had good results with Ruby Tubes, Groove Tubes, Sovtek and even some old Sylvanias that I found in a small town TV repair shop. Biasing is the key. Those were power tubes, and you need to keep those as similar as possible, since they work together. Pre-tubes, again, Ruby Tubes, Groove Tubes, whatever.....
              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
              X